Thread: Hitch installing glitch

Default Hitch installing glitch

I just got RN's class 3 hitch receiver. My SW has the EE tank guard which is
    the same shape as the original guard. I can't seem to fit the hitch as the hitch tube is pushing against the tank.

So far I have:

Dropped the tank to get behind the cross.member. Hitch will not install because the tank guard is in the way.

Dropped the tank guard and propped the tank. Hitch still pushes up against the tank.

Shifted the tank, partially installed the hitch, tried to mount the guard. Guard will not lever up into position, because the hitch is in the way.

Hitch inside tube portion looks too long. Other problem, underside mount bar doesn't line up with the crossmember.

Before i cut 2' off the hitch, what do you guys think, and what sequence or remedies did you have installing the hitch?

Thanks for any help.

Rather than just cutting it, can it be ground/milled at an angle/radius to clear?

I had a problem with mine where the holes on the bottom did not match up with the holes in the underside of the cross member...

I only install it when I pull a trailer, as it hangs too low for me.
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

I had to cut 1.5 of the receiver inside tube to clear the tank. Waiting on
    a backing plate to finish the job. If the tank guard does not rotate back in place, I will prob cut out a slot in the guard to accomodate the hitch. The RN
    made hitch is not too low, as the receiver is immediately below the cross member.

Directly below the cross member is too low for me...

1995 110 Regular

I hear you. But I guess this set up is a good compromise. I finally got the whole deal installed. Looks pretty clean and still acceptable take off clearance. Will take pics tomorrow and post.

pics
    Last edited by thewap; 11-16-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Looks good! The reflectors are a nice touch...

1995 110 Regular

Thanks, thought i'd make use of the old reflectors I took off when I installed
    the corner bumpers. I expoxied high strength magnets to the back of them, so I can remove or place them anywhere I want..(bumpers, cross member, or Hitch). When I installed the hitch, I figured they would look good on the base plate..

I'd say that you have a very tidy installation there......i can't see where that may cause too many problems in departure angle situations........
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from