Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Post - A few questions...

thumb-up New Rover

Nick,

That is a VERY nice truck---Hmmmm coil springs, fuel filler on rt rear corner, what year did you say it was???

My advice; stick with our hosts, for a hybrid truck like that you will spend WAY too much time explaining what you have to the dope at Pep boys.

The RN crew know Series and Defender trucks inside out. Simple stuff like gauges, bits and bobs can be found on fleabay--

Porsche--Land Rover---Dude, you're done!!!

Cheers
    BN

Quote Originally Posted by Daurie
    I spy a 928 in the garage too! I remember in my early teens going ape over those things. I wanted one so bad. It was something about a Porsche with a V8.

The s2a looks nice. I'm eyeing that front bumper too. It looks pretty beefy. I'm in the process of deciding on a bumper with a winch mount.

So what are your plans for the truck? If you're like me you've already cleaned or replaced or fixed every single part... in your thoughts.
    Hah! Thanks! You are correct. Actually the Porsche is my friend brent's. We both love to fix up old vehicles but I've always wanted a rover. My daily is a '93 VW Corrado SLC and my other project car is a '68 Impala which i'm probably about to sell after 8 years of fun with it. I just sold a '71 Ford Bronco that I semi-restored and had finally got the money to pick up a land rover...finally.

Brent just finished restoring a bunch of stuff on the Porsche. He is actually about to sell it if you are interested and even told me he would be interested in possibly trading for a Series vehicle. He loves Rovers too. The Porsche is flawless. Runs perfect and just got serviced. I'll take detailed pics if you are interested.

Again, thanks to all for the great information. I will definitly be asking plenty of questions. I've tried to do my research but theres so much stuff for me to learn. Thanks for welcoming a noob.

The Porsche and VW...

The Rover is 1000 times better than the bronco I had. I can't tell you how long I looked for the Rover. I plan to keep it for a long long time. Hopefully drive to some get togethers.
    Last edited by NC Rover; 12-20-2007 at 12:18 AM.
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

Quote Originally Posted by BirdNerd
    Nick,

That is a VERY nice truck---Hmmmm coil springs, fuel filler on rt rear corner, what year did you say it was???

My advice; stick with our hosts, for a hybrid truck like that you will spend WAY too much time explaining what you have to the dope at Pep boys.

The RN crew know Series and Defender trucks inside out. Simple stuff like gauges, bits and bobs can be found on fleabay--

Porsche--Land Rover---Dude, you're done!!!

Cheers
    BN
    Hey thanks! Actually it has a reserve gas tank so the filler on the back is for that. You can toggle between the tanks. Its a 1971. However the previous owner had the 2.5 liter engine shipped over. The frame was custom made. I know he put in the LT 77 Tranny with the R230 transfer case. It has D90 axles and coil springs. Front disc brakes and a Jacobs ignition. I have a new set of Old Man Emu springs that were thrown in too so that should put it at 2 1/2 " lift. I will definitly be asking everyone for advice. I'm just glad everyone is so friendly!
    Last edited by NC Rover; 12-20-2007 at 12:17 AM.
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

Quote Originally Posted by NC Rover
    Hah! Thanks! You are correct. Actually the Porsche is my friend brent's. We both love to fix up old vehicles but I've always wanted a rover. My daily is a '93 VW Corrado SLC and my other project car is a '68 Impala which i'm probably about to sell after 8 years of fun with it. I just sold a '71 Ford Bronco that I semi-restored and had finally got the money to pick up a land rover...finally.

Brent just finished restoring a bunch of stuff on the Porsche. He is actually about to sell it if you are interested and even told me he would be interested in possibly trading for a Series vehicle. He loves Rovers too. The Porsche is flawless. Runs perfect and just got serviced. I'll take detailed pics if you are interested.

Again, thanks to all for the great information. I will definitly be asking plenty of questions. I've tried to do my research but theres so much stuff for me to learn. Thanks for welcoming a noob.

The Porsche and VW...

The Rover is 1000 times better than the bronco I had. I can't tell you how long I looked for the Rover. I plan to keep it for a long long time. Hopefully drive to some get togethers.
    Nice cars I run a auto shop up here in Alaska I specialize in old english cars and German cars and in The summer high end motorcycle like bmw's yep the old 928's were fun but still like the 911 for seat of your pants driving. in my shop now is my SIII 109 and my wifes ride a Audi TT quattro very big fun in the snow.
    Onward threw the fog

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    There is also a gasket ring seal to keep moisture out.
    Oh yeah, and they work so well. Actually I think it only helps to keep it from rattling.

NC, If you get stuck, I've got alot of old guages and in most, the glass is about all thats anygood.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Quote Originally Posted by friar mike
    Nice cars I run a auto shop up here in Alaska I specialize in old english cars and German cars and in The summer high end motorcycle like bmw's yep the old 928's were fun but still like the 911 for seat of your pants driving. in my shop now is my SIII 109 and my wifes ride a Audi TT quattro very big fun in the snow.
    Nice German cars! I have to admit, I'm a major gearhead too...
    Last edited by TSR53; 12-20-2007 at 10:18 AM.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Daurie
    I spy a 928 in the garage too! I remember in my early teens going ape over those things. I wanted one so bad. It was something about a Porsche with a V8.

The s2a looks nice. I'm eyeing that front bumper too. It looks pretty beefy. I'm in the process of deciding on a bumper with a winch mount.

So what are your plans for the truck? If you're like me you've already cleaned or replaced or fixed every single part... in your thoughts.
    I also noticed the 928. Still want one. The closest I got was a 78 924. I wish I hadn't sold it, but the fuel system gave constant trouble.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Nice cars I run a auto shop up here in Alaska I specialize in old english cars and German cars and in The summer high end motorcycles like bmw's ...
    They have motorcycles in Alaska?

Who knew...
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

thanks! I absolutely love German sports cars. My friend also has an '86 911 and a '88 M5. Both of us usually will buy a project car for cheap, fix it up, sell it for a profit and split the money we make on it. Easy way to make a little extra cash to fund other projects.

The 911 is quite fun and super torquey. Drives amazing on the highway and the faster you go, the more it hunkers down and becomes more stable.

I started out with nothing and saved up just enough to buy a vehicle. Put a lot of elbow grease into it cleaning it up and sold it for a profit. I proved to myself that I could do it and did this a few times which allowed me to get rid of one and buy another by constantly building up the value. I just love older 80's and 90's sports cars and early 60's and 70's rigs like the rover. Since older vehicles are so easy to fix and maintain, its a lot of fun to have as a hobby. I'm hoping to keep the Rover for quite awhile as I think it would be something really cool to pass down to my kids whenever I have some one day.

Last edited by NC Rover; 12-20-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Nick,
    That rear cross member is repairable if it is only the rear outrigger piece that is bent. My friend with a Dodge Dakota decided to modify the rear end of my 71 IIa with similar results. Unfortunately for him my hi-lift was in the way so I had some panel damage and he trashed every panel in the front rh corner of his truck Teaches him why mobiles and trucks are a bad thing.

My solution was to take the truck down to the local power transmission lines and string her up between two pylons (Serious big concrete things) using my recovery gear. I was able to hook a shackle through the bent end of the x member and then used the hi-lift to pull her straight. Take a straight edge with you to determine when you've got it back into position. This would be a lot better than cutting an welding that pretty galvy chassis you've got there.

Of course, as everyone here in my area replaces their shiny bimmers every two years I got a lot of funny looks from people driving by. I felt I really should complete their image of an oily, hairy, knuckledragger by taking the starting handle out and beating the truck with it but they would have probably called the police then.

Oh yeah, that's some serious ironmongery you've got holding the front of the truck together.

Cheers
    Gregor.