Thread: '97 dico overheats

Default '97 dico overheats

New to the site, but not new to Land Rover's. I just started having a cooling problem with my '97 Disco. Several weird isssues going on, but those are common with Land Rovers. First off, yes, head gaskets are leaking, both. I assume these are letting exhaust gases into cooling system, because hoses seem pretty hard, they are new, just replaced. Was driving home today, had heater cranked to high, never did get real hot, but about 3 minutes into the trip, water temp gauge went all the way to hot. I pulled over and it went quickly back down to normal, and stayed there for the 10 minute drive home. I'm trying to figure out if I want to do the head job myself, or turn it over to the pros. Does everyone think that the head gaskets are the only source of my problems? The spiking of the temp gauge makes me think thermostat? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's tough to diagnose this until the head gaskets are replaced. I would think that replacing the thermostat would be a matter of course when doing the heads. Should probably have the radiator flushed too since it could have some oil mixed in by now. The gaskets may be the only source of the problem but by driving it like that will most likely cause more issues the longer it goes. That temp gauge behavior sounds like air or combustion gas in the cooling system.
    Jason T.

Stopped by auto parts store and ordered a tester to see if I was getting hydro carbons in the cooling system. I figured I would try it and a new stat to see if it cured the sudden spikes in the temp gauge. Is there a possibility the intake may be leaking instead of head gaskets, or are the head gaskets the normal culprits? I guess this tester will tell me if it is the intake or the head gaskets?????
    '73 Series III
    '03 Disco
    '76 BMW 2002

Sounds like you need to back up and find out what problem the truck has. A leakdown test will give you a better idea of what's wrong than the coolant analyzer.
    Jason T.

I had overheating problems back in the summer, and ultimately the head gasket failed. When the radiator was tested during the repair, it was clogged, and the fan clutch was defective also. It's back on the road now, runs great, and has more get up and go than I expected.
    95 D1

Hi i to was a newby with the disco and i have a 95 disco I i love it we had the overheating and the heat not working replaced hoses had the radiator cleaned etc worked a little and then we had the heads done worked for about three weeks went on a trip to minneapolis (we live in duluth mn) and she blew smoke and antifreeze unfortunatley from experience i recommend the heads and gaskets be done at LEAST we ended up putting a new motor in and was well worth it! Sorry and GOOD LUCK !

Yeah, I hope I don't jinx my self now, or my disco doesn't here me talking about it. Ended up doing head gaskest, heads were warped, did a valve job while we were at it, fan clutch was bad, and replaced water pump, and stat. All of this cured the leaky head gaskets, but still did not cure overheating. Threw a new radiator in and haven't had a problem since then. Hopefully that's the end of my problems for awhile.
    '73 Series III
    '03 Disco
    '76 BMW 2002

Sounds familiar. The radiator and fan clutch may have been the root cause, leading to the head gasket failure. I've gone for 6 months troublefree now, knock on wood.
    95 D1