Thread: Trans Cooler Sprung a Leak..now what?

Default Trans Cooler Sprung a Leak..now what?

I Traced a persistant oil leak to somewhere in front of the radiator this afternoon. Appeared to be coming from the Trans cooler. I removed and cleaned it up then pressure tested it. YUP! sure enough it had rusted through in a particular spot Spraying everything behind it w/ lube . I figure there's no easy fix like JB weld, so.. Now the big question -

Do i replace with a new or used OEM unit or try to upgrade to a newer OEM or aftermarket one. Found new OEM for ~$500 and another (ESR1703G) for $300. Anyone had this issue or tried to upgrade to a newer unit?

Give Paul Grant a try. he should have a used trans cooler.

paulgrant@mac.com

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevin-ct
    Give Paul Grant a try. he should have a used trans cooler.

paulgrant@mac.com

Kevin
    Ditto....Paul has some good stuff available. If your cooler is the later type you should have good luck finding a used one fairly cheap. If it's the early type then just go aftermarket.
    Jason T.

Dunno if its the early or later style, just know its black, and looks like a long scrub-brush.

What year is it?
    Jason T.

It's a 1993, but the actual cooler has a Dec 1992 date stamp.

I've been searching the various parts sites including some auctions and it looks like Defenders have a newer style cooler that might fit. could I upgrade to a later unit if i swap out the pipes?

Yours has the later type. When I was looking for mine (early type) there were plenty of folks offering me the later type for $20 to $40. Ask around and you'll find one. Try Paul Grant first though.
    Jason T.