Thread: Exhaust manifold advice

Default Exhaust manifold advice

I'm replacing the exhaust manifold gaskets on my 88 classic and I can't get some bolts to go in straight. The two closest to the firewall go in straight, the two forward of those two are slightly off line, the next two are straight, and the two closest to the front of the vehicle are slightly off line. I could probably get them in, but am wondering if this is not a good idea. If not, then what do I do. When I was taking some of the bolts off, I noticed that some came off not completely straight out. The threads were a little trashed. Any advice.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Chace the threads in the head and drill out the manifold slightly so they all go in straight.

If the threads are really messed up, you can use a heli-coli kit to repair them.
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

easily stripped out if your not careful,sounds like they were indeed trashed prior to your work.aluminum is very easy to cross thread,overtightened and stripped.
    replace your heads or heli coil is the options you have,sorry.marc
    www.siingingcamel.com

Well those are encouraging options. Actually, I'm going to tap the couple of holes to get the threads straightened out and it should be fine. If that doesn't work, then the heli-coil option.