Thread: Power Steering Pump Failed

Default Power Steering Pump Failed

Well, my power steering pump failed (more like grenaded) after my local mechanic told me nothing was wrong with it. What other damage do I need to look for?

I had noticed that when stationary the steering wheel had some noticable tension. Anyway, on my way home from Hot Springs I noticed I no longer had power steering. I popped the hood and there was PS fluid all over the engine. I did not have another way to get home so I limped it about 60-70 miles home.

About 20 minutes from home my tach went dead and shortly thereafter my battery light came on. Obviously the serpentine belt had come off. When I finally got home the PS pump pulley was hanging out of the pump. My coolant is significantly low - the reservoir is almost empty and there are pools of coolant around the reservoir (truck never overheated). The serpentine belt was wrapped in the viscous fan. The belt came out pretty easily and the fan doesn't appear to have any damage, just a few knicks.

So, what hidden damage can I expect? Thanks

Chris
    96 D1 w/ 145k mi

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by dcwhybrew
    (truck never overheated).

So, what hidden damage can I expect? Thanks

Chris
    96 D1 w/ 145k mi
    You drove a V-8 for 20 mins with no belt and it never overheated amazing

If it didn't overheat it certainly got serriously warm.......

Replace the pump, the belt, top up the coolent and hope for the best
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from

Well, the temp guague did not show it overheating. The coolant did boil out of the expansion tank. I am having the coolant temp sensor replaced just in case it was bad. I had the thermostat replaced recently. We'll see what happens and hope for the best.

Chris

Well, the temp guague did not show it overheating.
    Unfortunately, that isn't anything to go by w/ these vehicles, they're notorious for not having their temp gages function correctly.

The coolant did boil out of the expansion tank. I am having the coolant temp sensor replaced just in case it was bad. I had the thermostat replaced recently. We'll see what happens and hope for the best.
    Well, it did get hot then. The question is, has your aluminum block suffered from it?

Good luck....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

I understand the position you were in with this breakdown, but in the future it is definitely advisable that you stop and wait for a tow truck with failure like that! If the coolant boiled over the reservoir, then the truck got pretty hot. Make sure to pay close attention to the coolant reservoir after you get it all back together. You might have some additional damage from this episode.
    Adam Check
    JE Robison Service

Technical questions answered via e-mail and AIM!

E-mail address/AIM screen name: Adam@RobisonService.com

Will do, thanks Adam. The parts should be in tomorrow finally. Since I had replaced the thermostat previously, I am going to replace the coolant temp sensor just as a precaution. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Default Power steering pump

The absolute first thing I make sureto obtain when I buy a British car is a AAA membership. I have had Brit cars off and on since 1965 and every one of them benefited from AAA. Knock on wood, my '97 Disco hasn't used it yet. It did die last week, but restarted before AAA arrived.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mudley N. Grimey
    The absolute first thing I make sureto obtain when I buy a British car is a AAA membership. I have had Brit cars off and on since 1965 and every one of them benefited from AAA. Knock on wood, my '97 Disco hasn't used it yet. It did die last week, but restarted before AAA arrived.
    We call it CAA up here in the cold country and you are correct...don't leave home without it

I've had a couple of near 100 mile tow jobs for free
    regards; Dave

Here's a follow up question, my mechanic is having trouble getting all the metal shavings out of the fluid. He's flushed the power steering system 3 or 4 times but theres still some shavings left. He is suggesting a hydrolic filter if he can find one that will work. Any suggestions? Does this mean my steering box is shot?

Arrow

Any suggestions? Does this mean my steering box is shot?
    Long term the shavings may cause you a problem with the new pump and steering box but for now i'd just clean the system the best you can, hook everything up and drive the beast
    regards; Dave