Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Diesel Advice

Default Looking For Diesel Advice

I'm looking for advice and opinions on the actual differences and pros and cons between a Rover 2.25L and 2.5NA diesels. I am not considering anything more modern because I already have a galvanized frame and don't want it cut or welded on. My engine will be ordered thru Turner so about the only thing I know is where it is coming from. I also plan to install a RM OD when the engine goes in. I'm only looking for 60 to 65 top end. Thanks in advance for the replies.
    Jim

Your not wanting to weld criteria makes this an easy one. The 2.5 shares is mountings with the 200/300tdi. The 2.5 has the injection pump belt driven off the RH side of the motor requiring a long engine mount underneath the pump. It uses a different RH frame side mount than the 2.25. The 2.5 is a more worthy engine though. I think the standard 2.25L engine mount is much higher and will foul on the later IP assy. I'd weld a new mount on the RH side. The thing will leak enough oil to keep it from rusting.

Ike,
    Do you know much about top end speed between the two? I've also heard the the timing chain assembly on the 2.25 has more longevity than the timing belt on the 2.5. Any comment?
    Jim

Supposedly no Biodiesel or WVO can be used in the 2.25's IP. That is one consideration if you are thinking about alternative fuels. Also you really need to consider if the lack of power and modest increase in mileage will make it worth it to you- also if you are prepared to deal with diesels at -20f.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

The 2.5 D is more similar to the 2.25 gas in power. The 2.25 D is similar to a pack mule or other beast of burden.

If that is the case I probably will go with the 2.5D.
    Jim

If you really dont want to muss with your chassis, try locating a Sherpa AKA 15J 2.5 NAD. No change to motor or battery position. Downside is that the timing cover is a tin plate and the timing belt is different. Rest is stock rover.

Cheers,

Jason

Jim, I'm nearing the end of a Mercedes 240D swap into a 1960 SII 88. The only alteration to my galv frame was to shorten the rt. ft. motor mount, I'll try to attach photos here (I just painted of the cuts/welds with a high zinc paint, the same road crews use when repairing crashed guard rails). The 240D motors are a dime a dozen, drive about the same as a well tuned 2.25 Rover motor, parts a more than plentiful, fuel mileage off the charts as compared to the old 2.25 gas.

I know that I would love to see those pics too!

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

biodiesel can run in any diesel engine. Certain engines prefer lighter blends (more diesel vs less bio) but running bio-diesel every now and again is actually good for any diesel. It is a natural lubricator. If you're nervous about running it the first time, simply get a new fuel filter.