Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bonnet differences?

Default bonnet differences?

is there a difference between a deluxe dished bonnet from series IIA to series III, or are they identical? aside from the bolt to hinge pattern of course... thanks!
    Matt
    '66 88 GM powered
    '89 SWB RRC (sold)
    '67 109 NADA 6cyl. Station Wagon #2 (sold)

It is sort of hard to see in this picture, but front edge of a Series IIA is more "rolled over" looking that the Series III.
    Last edited by giorgio; 05-14-2008 at 01:43 PM.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Quote Originally Posted by giorgio
    It is sort of hard to see in this picture, but front edge of a Series IIA is more "rolled over" looking that the Series III.
    Correct, the Deluxe Bonnets (dished and non-dished) are all rolled over looking as opposed to the regular bonnet. The only difference between series II, IIA and III is the type of hinge. All bonnets are interchangeable. Pics for ref.

Regular Series II non-dished bonnet (ex-Jaguar factory grounds VIP go-kart )

Deluxe dished bonnet (Bob Lowe's INCA Trail rallye 109)

Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Also as you can see in the last picture when the Deluxe bonnet has the mount for the tire the bonnet has a 'depression' built into it while on the regular bonnet there is no 'depression' for the tire to sit in.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

thanks for the pics friends. I understand the differences between the standard bonnet and the deluxe and deluxe dished varients. I was mostly wondering if there is a specific difference between the deluxe dished bonnets fitted to IIA's and series III's. I'm looking to replace my seriously bent deluxe dished bonnet on my IIA and i have come upon some NOS deluxe dished series III bonnets. trying to find our if there is a difference. Thanks!
    Matt
    '66 88 GM powered
    '89 SWB RRC (sold)

I have looked at some period advertisements for Series III vehicles with the "deluxe" bonnet and really can't see any difference. I've never seen a Series III "deluxe" bonnet because the SW wasn't formally imported here in that model, just the unique NADA hardtop.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

The hinges are different; they bolt on, so you can swap them as need be.

My III had a flat hood, and I switched it to the deluxe dished type.

FWIW, I've seen deluxe bonnets w/o the dished out tyre mount, that were flat across there, too. Reason I went w/ a dished out versus the flat was so that I could gain that much extra visibility over the spare....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

jeff -

thanks for chiming in. i haven't really been able to see a difference either. i've got a couple of options in replacing my trashed bonnet, i just want to make sure that whatever i end purchasing fits the way it's supposed to. if anyone else has any insight, i sure would appreciate it. thanks friends!
    Matt
    '66 88 GM powered
    '89 SWB RRC (sold)

leslie -

you're right on that count. I don't think i could switch to something other than a dished bonnet. being 6' 3" i can barely see out the windscreen as it is!
    Matt
    '66 88 GM powered
    '89 SWB RRC (sold)

On a topic of bonnets: Whats the biggest tire you can fit on the bonnet? I have 235/85/16, will that fit?
    99 D1
    73 Series III 88"
    95 RRC LWB