Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tire opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    Personally I prefer BFG ATs to MTs because the ATs are quieter and will last longer and IMHO MTs aren't worth a darn on ice or packed snow.
    I *think* the BFG AT & MT use the same casing and possibly the same compound. Not positive but worth checking into if you are trying to decide between the two. I get about 55K - 60K miles out of a set of BFG M/T. I'm currently on my fourth set.

Way back when I tried a set of A/T tyres but sold them with less than 10K miles on them. I found that they didn't like wet ground anymore than street tyres do and I didn't like the idea of getting stuck when mud tyres would let me keep going. Mud gets my shoes icky.

For the kinds of driving I do, the BFG M/T is the best all around tyre that I've tried. Works OK in mud (clogs in clay) works well in the rocks including slick rock. Works well in most any kind of dirt and in sand. They are far from the best ice tyre and I don't have a lot of deep snow experience with them so am not qualified to venture an opinion about snow handling.

I've run two sizes:
    265/75R16 (31.9" dia, stock D90 size & very close to stock 109 tyre dia.)
    255/85R16 (33.3" dia, my current tyres)

I'm happy with them.

Oh, and if it makes a difference to anyone my BFG Mud Terrains are labeled "Made in USA"
    Last edited by TeriAnn; 01-18-2008 at 08:52 AM.

TeriAnn,

You're right on target about them clogging in clay (remember I'm from GA, so lots of clay experience)! However, I hav'nt seen or heard of anything that doesnt!

Cheers,
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    ... and IMHO MTs aren't worth a darn on ice or packed snow...
    Let me second Jim's opinion about the MT's being bad in the snow. However they are also very very good in the mud. So it's up to you really.

Personally, once my MT's are done and the old AT's waiting to be mounted are gone, I'm going to go for a milder off road tire. Perhaps something that verges on an all season tire.

Then, when I go off road to the point that I need better traction (which in all honesty is about 1% of the time), I'll bring a set of old farmers chains. Most of the time I'm either on the road or doing something mild that can probably be done with highway tires on. No need to listen to the tires all the time.

By the way, you can hear the tires but you don't normally make the distinction of them and the rest of the rover noise. If you go topless for a while, you will see what I mean.

Default Truxus

Try Interco Truxus mud tires, running 255/85-16's on the ambulance and 235/86-16's on the range rover. Fairly quiet and great in snow and iec, siped tread blocks, and very good in mud too. Cheap also doesn't hurt.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Default Truxus

I have been running truxus 235/85/16 on my 109. Very happy with them on everything from Southern California freeways to loose dirt and rock and snow here at the cottage in Canada.

Two for truxus mt's .. hm... I took a look at them and they definately look like serious tires.
    '73 SIII 88"
    Turner 8:1 Engine
    NRP Exhaust
    Roverdrive
    RM Parabolics
    OME Shocks
    Warn 8274
    Pangolin4X4 bumper

Default Firestone Destination M/T

Anyone have experience with Firestone Destination M/T's?

In case you are interested, I have a set of 5 Deestone D503 "Land Rover/Military Truck" tires that I will be posting for sale soon. They are 7.50 x 16 and were used on a 109. Here is a link to the manufacturer's site:
    http://www.deestone.com/products/index.html
    They are in good shape and have a lot of tread left. I can send pictures if you are interested.

I'm interested. PM sent.
    '73 SIII 88"
    Turner 8:1 Engine
    NRP Exhaust
    Roverdrive
    RM Parabolics
    OME Shocks
    Warn 8274
    Pangolin4X4 bumper

Get a set of Michelin XPS Tractions - they have a 750x16 size.

Open Country MT work on a series. Buddy's friend has them on his. I think he swapped to a wider rim though.

750 seem rare because they are usually listed in the commercial or truck section by most manufacturers.

Don't forget that if you get a stout enough tire you can augment traction in mud with snow chains. Bill Burke makes this point in one of his videos. And it works well.

BFG MT suck in snow.