Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best place to buy rebuilds?

Send the Fairey to RDS and have it rebuilt.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

George at Rovers Down South has the rights and tooling from Fairey, and should be able to supply any parts needed for you to rebuild the OD. (Also sells complete Fairey ODs.)

I have purchased several items from him, and been very happy with them.

That's not good news about the Roverdrive as I feel it is a better unit than the Fairey. With that being said you can safely do business with RDS as George is good people and a great source of Fairey ODs and parts.
    Jim

Does anyone still have any NOS series Trannys? Kevin NY bought one from RDS or TNTLR I think but I don't see them listed anymore? These were purportedly the stronger Santana ones IIRC... Maybe they are all sold out everywhere now?
    Last edited by yorker; 01-25-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adkrover
    My first pick was to get a Roverdrive but production of those is at a standstill and their return to the market place sounds a little iffy.
    Thanks
    What's the story here? Is it a supplier issue or the cost of materials going up etc?

Last time I spoke to Ray he seemed to be full of ideas for new parts for Series trucks, notably the all aluminium doors, so I didn't get the idea that his business was in trouble.

I suppose I could just phone the man up but I hate to do things like that if it ends up pushing the wrong buttons.

Cheers
    Gregor

I think the business is fine. Just a long term lag in production on the Roverdrive only. I did a lot of looking around and everyone I spoke to had several on backorder with no expected delivery date. I think they will be back eventually but I'm not sure I want to wait unless it is worth the wait. Does anyone know a Roverdrive first hand and is it better than a Fairey? I'd be happy with either as long as it holds up, isn't overly noisy and can have parts availabilty over the long run.

I've got one and like it. About the only two things that have been an issue were the original design of the linkage allows it to rattle. A few washers or some bellevilles takes care of that for a couple of dollars. The other thing is the sealing washers for the mounting bolts occasionally leak. You can get replacements for these fairly cheaply from McMaster Carr.

It's been a great unit and I have some huge mileage on mine because I was commuting 1000 miles a week in it for a couple of years. It still rolls along just fine. Note that they do not appear used because those thats haves em loves em.

As to your choice. Go fairey for a cbouple of years until the Roverdrive becomes available. If you like the Fairey keep it.

Cheers
    Gregor

Firstly in checking around I find that Fairy Overdrives are noise even when new. Geroge at Rovers Down South will rebuild yours or sell you a new one (~$1400).

Ok folks. So the rebuilt tranny came in from BP and it does look very nice. It doesn't however have any Land rover tags on it. In fact, the tag says "Allmakes 4x4". I called BP and they said it is a genuine Rover rebuild that was overstock from a military order. The dealer they get them from puts their own tags on them so that is the story behind the "Allmakes" tag. Attached are some photos.
    Last edited by adkrover; 08-17-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys
    You need Dr. Who's Phone box to go that far back. In fact, I don't recall the factory ever rebuilding gearboxes.
    They have in the past I have one in my truck from a while back!
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)