Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a 2.25L Diesel for series

Default Need a 2.25L Diesel for series

Looking for a series or early 90 2.25/2.5 L diesel to install in my own series before I head back to Iraq, for the wife to be able to use my Series III with. Durability and longivity are the key factors in the need for this. Any one have one or parting out one that I can aquire. Prefer a running engine but as I am a mechanic and located in NY I could probably get it fixed if minor enough within my tight time frame......Please let me know...315-523-5301 Aslo has anyone stuck a 2.5 NA into there series III? How much fun was that? Other then wirring what other headaches do I need to consider....
    Thank You.

Durability and longivity are the key factors in the need for this

Thats probably the last reason to want a 2.25/2.5 diesel (or any rover diesel). SIII installation should be a snap. Change the RH engine mount. Wiring is not a headache at all . . .there is one wire for the glow plugs and one for the fuel solenoid. Fuel return lines etc. Rewiring your cold start lamp as a glow plug indicator is a nice touch. Really a simple swap.

I just put a 2.5 diesel into a LHD SIII. However it was not originally out of a defender but from a work van in the UK that used a Rover Engine. The differences between the two are the timing belt/cover assembly, injector pipes and injector location. The biggest complaint on the 15J is the timing cover is not waterproof, and it is a very fair and accurate complaint. Other than that everything else is a rover 2.5. There were several iterations of the rover 2.5 and are distinguished by the serial starting numbers. the 12J is the standard 2.5 diesel and the 15J is the Sherpa Variant. The 12J does require that you move the engine mount and the battery is relocated to under the drivers LH seat(just like a defender). The 15J does not need the motor mount moved and plops into the SIII motor mounts. Wiring is a breeze with the hardest bit being the relocation of the battery. Hope this helps.

-Jason

Standard Rover 2.5 (12J?) does not require battery relocation.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

Matts right, you can retain the battery location, but it does require a revised support bracket for the left rear leg of the battery tray as it rest on the engine mount. I made a new bracket and removeable tray to ease pulling the engine on the last one I did, but its in the same spot.
    Last edited by leafsprung; 01-27-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Uralrover,
    after all is said and done if you do decide to go with the Series 2.25D
    I have one 4-sale. The head was cleaned-up (have receipts) and have
    a brand-new Series 2.25D wiring harness to go with it.
    Never reinstalled

$600.00 trans/transfer go with it
    Toledo Ohio area

I too got another deployment rearing it's ugly head.

Bob

I'm confused, what is wrong with a 2.25 or 2.5 Rover diesel as far as longevity is concerned?
    Jim

they dont last very long

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    they dont last very long
    Neither will this thread.

Default Diesel

C-Delta,

Is the engine that you have in bits? or is it all put together? any history on it? Thanks, Ryan