Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 89 that wont start

Angry starting woes

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo
    I have the Bentley Range rover manual and have looked at all the wiring schematics many times. The carpet in my rover is all pulled up and there is no headliner so all the wiring going across the ceiling is visible. I have checked/bandaged and traced backed all the wiring possible. Also I have checked the relays and replaced the fuel pump and EFI relay. Right now im not getting power to the fuel pump or the coil. Also I have noticed that on the actual ECU there is a resistor that is broken. Is there a way I can identify what the resistors on the ECU do/control so I can see what that boken one would effect?

Thanks for the links though, a lot of usefull info. I'll have to inspect that resistor you were talking about.
    I followed the check process on this thread and still having problems with my 92 RR. Sometimes it would crank but won't catch and you'd feel like it was almost there. Sometimes, with just one try, the engine turns like nothing wrong happened to it. My pressure reading is 35 psi which should be just fine. Everything else checks OK so I must've missed one thing or two but in my reviews, I believe I covered averything. Please help as I'm ready to give up on it and get killed going to a dealer's mechanic.

Default Try this

Something I posted on rovers.net years ago

The Ignition Pickup Module inside the distributor (replacing the "points" on older systems) can cause intermittent starting problems as well as hesitation. When Mike's RR wasn't starting, there was no output from the ignition amplifier. (Normally, he could read 1.5 volts across the coil + and - terminals on the AC scale of a digital voltmeter while cranking the engine). A new ignition amplifier did not cure the problem, but dismantling the distributor and replacing the pickup module did. The old module looked fine and intermittently gave the correct 3K ohm reading across the output terminals, but could be made to go open circuit by wiggling the wires where they went into the rubber seating in the distributor into which the ignition amplifier plugs. Removing the insulation, he found the wires inside had snapped and were making intermittent contact. Movement of the base plate by the vacuum advance mechanism causes the wires to bend to and fro against the rubber seating, and eventually they can break. This could be the cause of a number of mystery hesitations and stumbles that people experience -- Mike was getting such behaviour as well as intermittent idling problems for a few weeks before the starting problem.