Thread: After Market Radio Not Working - Please Help

Default After Market Radio Not Working - Please Help

Hi,

I have a 93 classic with a new sound sytem that was working fine until today. Here's the issue: My igniton was worn out and I replaced it with a ignition of a 87. After that the radio stopped working... I tested all the contacts to the radio with the key on and off and it measures 12v like it should. I am getting power to the radio but it does not power on... I even replaced the radio with a new one!

I noticed that my original (93) ignition has some sort of coil in it and a switch inside the drum while the replacement one (87) does not.

Does anyone know what this small coil is for? Does it power the radio? If not, do you know what my problem could be?

Any help with this problem will be much apreciatted!

Thank you!

Most radio's need 2 sources of 12V. One is a constant 12v even with the key switch off, the second is supplied usually when the key switch is turned on or in an accessory position. Find out which connections they are at the radio and supply them with 12V via a couple of jumpers to see if the radio works. This will bypass the switch. My guess is you just need to install the correct switch though.

Jason T.

Default Got it fixed

I had the switches and everything right because it was working perfectly before. I got it figured out, the ground got disconnected when I took part of the dash off!

Still, does anyone know what the small coil and the switch in the ignition drum are for?

Thanks