Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Broken Down

You say you don't have a garage, do you have slab or driveway work on?

If you are going to use a come-along then you will have to push the rover back after you raise the engine out and then lower the engine down. If you don't have an engine stand you could just set the engine on the ground/slab for teardown. It will still make a bit of a mess even though you drained all the fliuds before you removed it. You should be able to lift by hand any of the pieces after your all torn down. Even the block at worst will be a two person lift. I am not a big man, but I can foist a bare SBC/SBF v8 bare block up on something.To reassemble you could place on a bench or spread out a floor/ground cover beneath your come-along. Remember to keep things as clean as you can for reassembly. I can assemble an engine in less than a couple of hours,so if this is new to you,reassembly might take a long day. Hold the beers til your done. We your ready to reinstall engine,just raise with come-along and push the rover back under it.

My plan was to hoist engine out of 109 sw with cumberlong attached to tree limb, move sw out of way with 109 regular and then drop engine into bed of 109 regular or an engine stand if I can find one. House is on stilts with concrete slab underneath so no garage but will be out of rain. I have turned wrench on most of series but never touched engine other than fuel pumps. How much time should I allow once out of engine for rebuild?

What you say should work. An engine stand is of course best if you can come up with one, especially for the reassm. Keep track of which hole all your rods,pistons & tappets come out of. Especially the tappets, if you don't fit a new cam & tappet set. If you use the old and get tappets mixed up they will last no time. Of course if you've got the $$ it's best just to replace cam & tappets now. Depending on what the conditon of the pistons & bores are you may use the pistons over. The other three rods can likley be recon by you machine shop. Listen to your machinest there. For me engine out & teardown is a half a day job. Figure a least a day maybe two. Off to Machine shop who knows ,depends on his work load. If they can get to it you could have it back by the next weekend for the work to your parts. Getting the new parts? Haven't tried to get anything for rover yet.Figure at least a day each for reassm & reistall. Going back together is always slower and coming apart.