Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roverdrives

Default Roverdrives

I just spent about an hour on the phone with the folks a Wise Owl Inovations who are the NA distributors for Roverdrives. Apparently the lack of ODs is a result of the manufacturer not problems with the design or with the solvency of the company. They told me they keep getting promised ODs but they never show up. They also said that if they can get emails from people that are serious about buying a Roverdrive that it would help them with the manufacturer. So if you are going to buy a Roverdrive drop Wise Owl a note sales@wiseowlparts.com and tell them you want one. It may help getting the manufacturer of dead center.
    Jim

It sucks that they are having problems with the manufacturers. I waited a few months for one, only to have to use my money i put away for it for an emergency, if they had it ready sooner i would have one in my truck right now.

Still want one, hopefully i can get the cash again for one.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

I really am beginning to think that anything for Series vehicles is going to get harder and harder to find. That is why I'm buying all of the body parts, drive train parts and interior trim parts I can possibly get ASAP.
    Jim

I ordered one last year. The story was about the same. I went ahead and committed to buy one, and a couple of months later I got it. I think it helps to go ahead and get on the list as a committed buyer.

Note: for a 2.6L there are "slight modifications" necessary, which entails cutting two different pieces, and welding in two inch extensions. First, that is more than a slight modification in my book, and second, both pieces in question are just raw stock pieces of metal, and could easily be offered in two different lengths.

With only limited use, I have been mostly pleased with the Roverdrive, which I did install myself.

Default fairey

Just buy a fairey from RDS

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    Just buy a fairey from RDS
    X2

Units in stock as well as all the parts.

Although I enjoy doing business with RDS I don't believe the Fairey OD is as good as the Roverdrive. Just one man's opinion. Not trying to start a war here.
    Jim

I don't believe the Fairey OD is as good as the Roverdrive

Why? Ive had and installed many of both, so has Jim.

I'll agree with you to a point. I have a Roverdrive in my 88" and there are many things I like about it. It requires no maintenance other than changing the t-case fluid. It also runs dead-silent. It does, however, run extremely hot and requires synthetic oil in my opinion, and it will pop out of gear under very heavy loads. There also seems to be no support at this point. Don't get me wrong, Ray is a great guy and I've used is stuff for years, but if you have trouble with one of these, you're dead in the water.

The Fairey on the other hand is available, plentiful, and all the parts are in stock. George at RDS is a great guy and having support for the Fairey probably outweighs the fact that they need more mainenance and probably a few bearings every 15-20k miles.

Faireys have a few weaknesses (input splines etc). I have not had the quality control issues Ive had with the roverdrives (porous castings etc) Ive also never seen a fairey explode (literally) and Ive seen one roverdrive explode (Sean Bishop I think) and heard of one more.