Thread: Leak - rain, not oil

Default Leak - rain, not oil

I have a leak at the top of the driver's side door where the front corner meets the roof. I checked my seals and they are in good shape - seems like there should be enough resistance to seal out rain. My gutter has some old caulking above that spot from the PO, but it doesn't seem to be loose anywhere. Anyway, any classic causes? Are my seals deceiving me? If the gutter had a crack at the seam, might it travel to that spot on the inside? As I write this, it seems like a dumb question, but I can't figure out where the heck the water is getting in.

If only it was on the passenger side...

i've got the same leak with my truck. must be something with the '68 model

my seals are fairly new, but i see light thru mine. it's more noticeable with the full top on than with the pick up top. i'm looking forward to see if things are better with the soft top this spring.
    '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
    '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
    '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet

Raining this morning and no leak - but I parked overnight nose up on a hill. Makes me think it's the gutter channelling water to a low spot...I think I'll clean off the old sealant this weekend and see what it looks like.

Same problem in both my Series 62 and 72 in heavy rains. Also happens when raining and I come to a stop and the water runs towards the front. Nothing a shop towel cannot quickly remedy (which is always handy). Good luck and please let us know if you find a cure other than shop towel.

You may want to look and make sure PO has not drilled any holes in top to mount accessories. If so, a little marine silicone caulk should help but not marine adhesive.

And I have the same problem as described by PH4 with both of my Series II-A's. When I park one of the II-A's nose down in the rain, I will find water in the front channel. The passenger's side leaks through the door seal along the inside of the door. If the car is moving, there's no water ingress.

Now my second II-A, which has the original top and has never hit a horse and flipped over, such that I had to coblle together a safari top from two different tops, does not leak the same way at all. It's a hardtop, too, not a tropical top.

The tops have a lot of rivets which provide excellent entry points for water. That's where I find the water enters in my tropical top, and the rain gutter makes the second entry point.

Marine caulking can really seal up the tiniest of holes, and that's all the water needs to enter the car.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

My 1970 IIA 88 trop top leaks also. I have taken the sides off of the top and replaced the seals. They are cheap. I also replaced the seals to the body tub and the top front strip between the top and the windscreen. I also, cleaned the area where the top is riveted to the rain gutter with isopropyl alcohol and applied the stuff they put air stream campers together with.

The top still leaks.

I am now thinking it may be my old crusty alpine window seals. Or the spacers that hold the sun sheet to the top. The spacers have rubber washers that are old and crusty.

I bought new alpine window rubber, but have not installed it yet.

Wherever it is leaking from, it accumulates in the inside of my truck in the rain gutters and leaks down into the truck where ever the low spot happens to be.

I hope the alpine window seals work.

Todd

I found the gap between the canvas top and the "B" (?) pillar lets rain in. I don't really sweat the tiny holes, but this is a 1" x 24" or so space!

I just thought it natural that when it rained, I got wet. My seat is always wet: window closed, window open. Window in, window out.

Quote Originally Posted by KSMTAW
    My 1970 IIA 88 trop top leaks also. I have taken the sides off of the top and replaced the seals. They are cheap. I also replaced the seals to the body tub and the top front strip between the top and the windscreen. I also, cleaned the area where the top is riveted to the rain gutter with isopropyl alcohol and applied the stuff they put air stream campers together with.

The top still leaks.

I am now thinking it may be my old crusty alpine window seals. Or the spacers that hold the sun sheet to the top. The spacers have rubber washers that are old and crusty.

I bought new alpine window rubber, but have not installed it yet.

Wherever it is leaking from, it accumulates in the inside of my truck in the rain gutters and leaks down into the truck where ever the low spot happens to be.

I hope the alpine window seals work.

Todd
    Did you have any luck with the leak Todd?

Yesterday morning when I went out to the truck for my morning commute, I found the floors, dash and inside of the windscreen all nicely washed clean. This was the first time in a long time that I've driven the truck with the combination of hard top and heavy rain, granted but I still don't remember it being this bad. I also replaced the seals between the bottom of the gutter and the window frame/truck sides, so this was a bit of a surprise.

Must have busted the riveted seal between the gutter and aluminum roof somehow so I'm going to use your resealing trick and hopefully get this fixed.

My truck doesn't have alpine windows or the trop top so if this isn't the cause for me, I'll be eagerly awaiting your response to see if you found it to be something other than those areas as well.

Cheers,
    Tim

Hello Tim-

I have not changed the alpine seals yet.

I often thought that my hard top leaked at the riveted lap joint you are talking about also. It still may, but besides drilling out all the rivits, taking it all apart, applying some sealing compund and re-riviting the rain gutter I have done a great deal to seal this area. I think that it leaks from somewhere else and collects in the inside rain gutter.

When I get around to putting in the new alpine window seals I will let you know if it helps/ solves the water leaks.

Good Luck-
    Todd

I got so frustrated with leaks that I ended up taking off the roof sealing it fully from the inside and then adding some foil backed duct insulation to the inside of my roof prior to reinstalling my LaSalle headliner. Now it only leaks when the rain or snow blows in the crack between the door and the weatherstrip. I've considered using a C-clamp to hold the door more tightly closed but this would seem to hinder ingress and egress. Perhaps the raincoat (Barbour of course) and shop towel is a better option. Good luck.