Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Understanding what makes a LR

I meant Nitrous for the driver, although I suppose using it in the motor wouldn't hurt.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

Quote Originally Posted by S11A
    And there is hope for us diesel owners
    Try Propane injection.

Due to the "increasingly vigorous interest in British Northwest's Safari Four™ engine", check out the British Northwest web page:

http://www.olywa.net/land-roverco/safari_four_extra.htm

They "just might transform your reluctant Land-Rover into something of a world-beating champion!"

Apparently this causes new performance problems requiring solutions such as they "now offer 100 and 120mph speedometers".

Anyway, despite the humorous writing style, not much in the way of specifics were provided, and the "memo" as they called it does not mention forced induction. It does say a 40 - 50% greater BHP. That would put it around 100 BHP, almost as much as a 200 or 300 TDI. No mention of torque, however.

Ah, here's another page on their site:

http://www.olywa.net/land-roverco/engine.htm

It says "ignition to exhaust, including camshaft profile, induction systems, cooling, cylinder head design, fuel delivery, and component material". No mention of supercharging, and the photos don't show it either. It does show headers, probably an upgraded carb, distributor.

Might be a nice engine, despite the "BILLY MAYS HERE, WITH EXITING NEWS ON ORANGE GLO!!!" infomercial "memo". Memo to Billy Mays: remember to take your medications.

It would be interesting to check the price against a TDI. It sounds like both would have the same issues such as axles and transmission.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Quote Originally Posted by S11A
    Might be a nice engine, despite the "BILLY MAYS HERE, WITH EXITING NEWS ON ORANGE GLO!!!" infomercial "memo". Memo to Billy Mays: remember to take your medications.
    Funny you. Nice, good laugh this morning - thanks!
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

In case you can't do the nitrous, there is always this.

Forced induction was on the site at one time. I remember seeing and asking why?

I asked what one would cost and was told it was roughly twice that of the Turner. That was like 6 years ago.

I really don't think that there is that much to the engine myself. You can order cost of the upgrades such as the ignition from our hosts. Headers? Probably have a set made to spec locally. You get the idea

Anyway, Planning a 2.5 cam, petronix (or maybe an MSD) ignition on a newer distributor, maybe a turner head. Have to see what the local engine builders think and charge vs. the turner head.

For what it's worth I have the following set up:
    - 2.25 3 mb original block/crank & pistons.
    - Turner stage 1 8:1 head.
    - 2.5L cam.
    - Newtronics electronic ignition (I got it cheap from the UK) on a Ducellier dizzy with a Lucas sport coil providing the juice.
    - Magnecor leads on NGK plugs.
    - Rochester carb fed with the original mechanical pump and sucking through a K&N on the road. I keep the oil bath for off road work.
    - Some wierd 55A externally regulated Delco alternator that is getting swapped for a Delco 10SI now I have the Pangolin mounts.

This set up has a LOT of miles on it now thanks to my old Phoenix to Tucson daily commute. It all got put together over a few years when stuff wore out.

I had a good drive in to work today - only 7 miles now. The engine revs very freely up to 4K and pulls hard up to about 60 mph on 30" rubber. With the Roverdrive she will howl along at 70 mph on the freeway with enough oomph for another 5mph or so if given some warning. Running this set up makes the truck very driveable as my every day vehicle. The engine, however, is never gong to be a hot rod and when wound up sucks fuel like it's going out of style. You are deinitely not revving at the optimum point in the torque/power curve.

If you want to have something that will eat up the freeway, especially for long runs, you need to look at a repower and probably the gearing too.

Cheers
    Gregor

Quote Originally Posted by SalemRover
    In case you can't do the nitrous, there is always this.

Alternatively, if you are looking to just add a blower on the cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith
    Alternatively, if you are looking to just add a blower on the cheap...

The girl?
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Quote Originally Posted by msggunny
    The girl?
    Oh jeeze! I opened Pandora's box with that one didn't I.