Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for a 109?

Default How much would you pay for a 109?

Found a used good running 109 w/ long wheel base. Seems to be in good shape with minimal rust. Diesel engine.

What would you pay for one? (U.S. Dollars).
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

as little as possible . . .maybe more details?

Or a set of pictures?
    Jim

Sorry I'll try to snap a few pics when I take a look at it again today. I didn't know what the average price was for a 109 in good running condition with minimal rust. I'll work on the pictures today.
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

There really is no "average" price because of the age and rarity of Series vehicles. If it's a 109" SW 5 door, it will be worth a lot more than a 109" 3 door, of which there are more in the USA.

Is is a 4 or 6 cylinder?
    3 door or 5 door? Tailgate in rear?
    Hardtop or canvas top?
    Seats or benches in rear?
    Series II-A or Series III
    Which diesel engine, LR or a conversion?
    Mileage on the car?
    Service history?
    Condition of transmission, transfer case?
    What do you consider "minimal rust?" (The location of the rust is far more critical than the amount, e.g, door tops are much easier to replace than a rear crossmember)
    Condition of frame and bulkhead?

That said, I bought a '66 Series II-A HT with a patched frame, original engine, two sets of 16" wheels and tires, new hoop set and canvas top, straight panels and faded out paint, for $3,000 two years ago. Unless your 109" is a station wagon, there's not a lot of difference in pricing between an 88" and a 109".

As recommended, post some photos. We're all intrigued!

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

For what its worth, last month I purchased a '73 Series 3 109 SW RHD with about 73,000 miles on it, fresh of the boat from england, it is the 2.25 petrol motor, for $5,000 us. It has some rust, but over all it is in good shape. I had to put about $1,500 into a new clutch system and tyres to get it on the road and it has all the normal old landy issues, but it gets me to work 5 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Aronson
    There really is no "average" price because of the age and rarity of Series vehicles. If it's a 109" SW 5 door, it will be worth a lot more than a 109" 3 door, of which there are more in the USA.

Is is a 4 or 6 cylinder? -->4 cylinder
    3 door or 5 door? Tailgate in rear? -->Door in rear..no tailgate
    Hardtop or canvas top? -->Hardtop...windows were falling out in some places due to bad seals...held on by ductape.
    Seats or benches in rear? --> Nothing in rear...no seats...just a big sheet of plywood on the floor so who knows what kind of rust lay hidden beneath.
    Series II-A or Series III - 1980 Series III
    Which diesel engine, LR or a conversion? --> It looked to be LR.
    Mileage on the car? --> 110k...maybe more
    Service history? --Definitly not.
    Condition of transmission, transfer case? --Hard to tell...covered in dirt and oil.
    What do you consider "minimal rust?" (The location of the rust is far more critical than the amount, e.g, door tops are much easier to replace than a rear crossmember) --> yeah..I never got to see it till today. Frame is in really bad shape. Body was good shape....frame and underneath...terrible.
    Condition of frame and bulkhead?

That said, I bought a '66 Series II-A HT with a patched frame, original engine, two sets of 16" wheels and tires, new hoop set and canvas top, straight panels and faded out paint, for $3,000 two years ago. Unless your 109" is a station wagon, there's not a lot of difference in pricing between an 88" and a 109".

As recommended, post some photos. We're all intrigued!

Jeff
    Its a 109 3-door. I finally had the chance to look it over. Its in pretty bad shape. WHen you drive by at 50mph at 50 yards, it looks good. Upon closer inspection, the frame is rusted completely through in multiple spots. I'm talking large gaping holes you could fit you arms through.

Rear cross member is rusted through. The floor panels under the driver and passenger seat are rusted through, interior would need quite a bit of work. The engine bay looked really clean. Apparently the owner converted it to bio diesel? Its a RHD but it definitly would need a new frame and most likely bulkhead. Couldnt' get a good view of that. Bummer b/c it looks like a really cool rover.

Guy was asking $5800.

Unfortunately I did not have my digital camera with me as I looked at it during my lunch break. Sorry!
    Last edited by NC Rover; 02-05-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Rover
    Its a 109 3-door. I finally had the chance to look it over. Its in pretty bad shape. WHen you drive by at 50mph at 50 yards, it looks good. Upon closer inspection, the frame is rusted completely through in multiple spots. Rear cross member is rusted through. The floor panels under the driver and passenger seat are rusted through, interior would need quite a bit of work. The engine bay looked really clean. Apparently the owner converted it to bio diesel? Its a RHD but it definitly would need a new frame and most likely bulkhead. Couldnt' get a good view of that. Bummer b/c it looks like a really cool rover.

Guy was asking $5800.
    Where was this?

It wasnt the guy from Tidewater was it?
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Run away.
    From the sound of it, my Rover was in far, far better shape and I paid $500 for it. I'm still getting/going to get nickle and dimed to death, and I'm not using all LR parts.

All you're going to get out of that Rover that will be salvageable are a few small parts, a VIN plate, and maybe some body panels. You can do better.

parts rover: $500
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums