Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bulkheads - Time To Step Up To The Plate

Default New Bulkheads - Time To Step Up To The Plate

Dear Forum Readers and Host,
    It's time to step up to the plate. I fully believe we have a participant on this forum that has the skill and technical ability to produce new Series bulkheads of a quality that will blow your socks off. What they don't have is the capitol to do it. How many of us are willing to put up a down payment, an amount yet to be determined, to assist this person to purchase the necessary equipment to do it sooner than later. I will personally state that I personally stand nothing to gain from this other than getting a new bulkhead which will be built in the USA. I for one want to keep my $ here and not send well over $2000 to England or better yet Thailand.
    Please give this some real thought before you respond.
    Jim

I'd be willing to purchase one under the following terms:

1. It must be an accurate reproduction similar in qulaity to the gentlemen producing the bulkheads in the UK. Mr. Morris? I am not price sensitive. Accuracy and quality I will pay for.

2. Must be galvanized.

Show some pics of the member's skill. Doesn't have to be a bulkhead. Something with spot welds and bends should suffice.

EwS

well - I need 2 (okay maybe just one but a lot of work on the other), so I would be interested in seeing how this progresses as well/contributing to the cause.
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

My gut tells me that this individual can produce the same if not better than Morris. From what I have gathered talking to him he will not make aything that doesn't meet his own standards which are in my opinion are probably higher than mine for sure. This may be a year or two off before it happens. I want you both to realise that.

Good to see the replies. My thanks to both of you.

Jim

Sounds good.

Love to learn how to bang tin myself. Be kinda cool to have someone guide you thru a well done repair or even help you make a bulkhead over a long weekend. . .

EwS

If you guys want to start paying me $2000, I might be interested in making a few. I just got a small press brake a week ago. Not sure about the galvanizing. I just happen to have a pristine SIIA bulkhead laying around for a model.

Shop has to get finished first, so maybe in the next 6 months.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Do it up! Worst case scenario is you have a spare bulkhead

If it was a financially viable thing to do , RN or one of the other suppliers would have invested in it already. Not enough demand and high investment cost will never see that get off the ground here in the USA.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Bertha that is pure nonsense. Series Rovers can and will be here for many years to come with the help of people like the gentleman I am corresponding with, someone like jp or even someone we haven't heard from. The truth is, most people that deal in Rover parts want to buy and sell what is readily available. I don't blame them. They are larger companies with employees and obligations. They need to move product which you can't do unless you have it on the shelf. You simply would not believe what is available in England compared to here. Why is Morris in England currently backed up more than 18 months for one at a time custom buikheads if there is no demand? Will anyone who is willing to make Series parts like a bulkhead going to get rich? No. Believe it or not there are people that will do things because they believe it is the right thing to do to keep Rovers alive here as long as they can make some money. I am simply trying very hard to keep Series Rovers alive in this country but if I have to rely on the larger parts people (no offense to our hosts or anybody else that sells parts) my Rover will end up rotting, parted out, or worse yet crushed. That is more than I am willing to accept without a fight even if I ultimately have to send my $ elsewhere.
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim-ME; 02-05-2008 at 04:45 PM.

I agree wholeheartedly that it would be a worthy cause. I for one have passed up buying more than a few series trucks because of questionable bulkheads. Even the ones that could have been repaired I passed up. However had I had the option of simply replacing the bulkhead I would have looked at them with more interest. It may sound crazy but I'd rather replace it then patch it given the option. I'm sure I'm not the only one though. I'm on board for one when the time comes. Maybe 2!

Daurie
    '73 SIII 88"
    Turner 8:1 Engine
    NRP Exhaust
    Roverdrive
    RM Parabolics
    OME Shocks
    Warn 8274
    Pangolin4X4 bumper