Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bulkheads - Time To Step Up To The Plate

I think you'll have to count me as one of the skeptics- I'd rather put the time and $ into restoring an original than dump $2000+ on a new one. Maybe if they were in the $1000 range I'd think about it. I've never passed on a LR because of the bulkhead alone- they aren't that difficult to rebuild. Building them from scratch on the other hand?

[edit][ I don't really mean to $hit on your idea- it is a noble one, I just think for a lot of people it will be a hard sale. If there was enough market someone like Ike Goss would probably be making them. Maybe you should ask him why he doesn't?
    Last edited by yorker; 02-05-2008 at 05:15 PM.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    Bertha that is pure nonsense. Series Rovers can and will be here for many years to come with the help of people like the gentleman I am corresponding with, someone like jp or even someone we haven't heard from. The truth is, most people that deal in Rover parts want to buy and sell what is readily available. I don't blame them. They are larger companies with employees and obligations. They need to move product which you can't do unless you have it on the shelf. You simply would not believe what is available in England compared to here. Why is Morris in England currently backed up more than 18 months for one at a time custom buikheads if there is no demand? Will anyone who is willing to make Series parts like a bulkhead going to get rich? No. Believe it or not there are people that will do things because they believe it is the right thing to do to keep Rovers alive here as long as they can make some money. I am simply trying very hard to keep Series Rovers alive in this country but if I have to rely on the larger parts people (no offense to our hosts or anybody else that sells parts) my Rover will end up rotting, parted out, or worse yet crushed. That is more than I am willing to accept without a fight even if I ultimately have to send my $ elsewhere.
    Jim
    You make reference to English demand , but I have clearly stated that the USA demand is what we are talking about here and hence what is lacking. This is what does not make it a viable thing to make a bulkhead here. Rovers are like Chevys in England-there are too many to be found. I have no problem keeping Rovers alive because I have the skill to repair what I have and do not need to unnecessarilly replace things that are repairable. Most people that I have found that are into Rovers feel the same way. They are hands on and are able to come up with creative and cost effective solutions. It sounds to me like you dont fall into this catagory, and as a result require people to make and do things for you(ie :work on your truck). Good luck in your quest, however in the US market, I think you may find it to be futile.
    Last edited by Bertha; 02-05-2008 at 08:00 PM.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Quote Originally Posted by yorker
    I've never passed on a LR because of the bulkhead alone- they aren't that difficult to rebuild. Building them from scratch on the other hand?
    Well I wouldn't say on the bulkhead alone.. but in some cases along with other issues, the bulkhead came to be the determining factor.

I haven't been around Series Rovers nearly as long as most of you on here so maybe I'm over speculating on the value of a well made, fresh, new bulkhead.
    '73 SIII 88"
    Turner 8:1 Engine
    NRP Exhaust
    Roverdrive
    RM Parabolics
    OME Shocks
    Warn 8274
    Pangolin4X4 bumper

Default Bulkhead

Originally Posted by Bertha

...I have the skill to repair what I have and do not need to unnecessarilly replace things that are repairable. It sound to me like you dont fall into this catagory, and as a result require people to make and do things for you(ie :work on you truck).
    Well I guess you will never, ever need to buy another Land Rover part because you're so talented. But I for one would rather be able to buy a new bulkhead some day than to have to invest in metal working tools and such. I would also rather pay for one than to spend the time to build it myself. There are things I fix myself and there are things that I'd rather not deal with because there are only so many hours in a day. What is wrong with you? Your attitude stinks.

Plenty of series trucks rot away for want of a bulkhead. Some bulkheads are too far gone to be more than a pattern. Lack of new bulkheads are the one thing that keeps otherwise salvageable Rovers in the parts truck category. Furthermore I can forsee them being exported to the UK since the dollar is weak against the pound, there is a good demand, and the Morris bulkheads have a waiting list.

Jim, I think it's a great idea, I'd considered looking into it too. I have been looking for a decent bulkhead to take to a metal fab shop but haven't found one yet. And although it may indeed be cost prohibitive, I say go for it. I'd buy one just to put in the garage corner for a future project.

The hardest part will be getting the first one made. I know a little about the plastic injection molding industry, and the parallel here is the cost of prototyping. Very high tooling cost. Sounds like these would be handmade, so labor costs would also be high. But if it can be streamlined into component parts and then the final assembly could be simplified, you could reduce the man-hours per piece. Once that's done you can amortize the cost over the production run.

The other thing to think about here is that the availability of new bulkheads could create a new market. One could build a series Land Rover from the ground up. Everything else is out there to build a brand new one!
    Last edited by Momo; 02-05-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Bertha I am so happy you can do it all yourself. I guess you are a better Rover owner than I. No I can't weld but I do all my own repairs so I strongly suggest you watch your blanket statements about my abilities. I do know that parts wise alone it will cost me $727 just in repair panels my eyes tell me I need which doesn't take into consideration shipping. It also doesn't take into consideration welding, painting or galvanizing, nothing. How in heavens's name can anyone think you add a 2a dash and the area around the vents for less than $300? I have been doing my homework and know for a fact that I can get a fully repaired and primed bulkhead in England for $1700 and have been quoted $3200 for a brand new one. I also know there is a gentleman in Thailand that is talking about building Series body panels and bulkheads. So you see there is also market outside the US for NLA Series body parts. When it is all said and done it all comes down to whom do I want to give my money to and how soon I can get the old one swaped for the new one for I drive mine every day. These are the things that are driving me in this arena. Believe me if Ike Goss ever makes a bulkhead I'll be the first in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Momo
    Well I guess you will never, ever need to buy another Land Rover part because you're so talented. But I for one would rather be able to buy a new bulkhead some day than to have to invest in metal working tools and such. I would also rather pay for one than to spend the time to build it myself. There are things I fix myself and there are things that I'd rather not deal with because there are only so many hours in a day. What is wrong with you? Your attitude stinks.

Plenty of series trucks rot away for want of a bulkhead. Some bulkheads are too far gone to be more than a pattern. Lack of new bulkheads are the one thing that keeps otherwise salvageable Rovers in the parts truck category. Furthermore I can forsee them being exported to the UK since the dollar is weak against the pound, there is a good demand, and the Morris bulkheads have a waiting list.

Jim, I think it's a great idea, I'd considered looking into it too. I have been looking for a decent bulkhead to take to a metal fab shop but haven't found one yet. And although it may indeed be cost prohibitive, I say go for it. I'd buy one just to put in the garage corner for a future project.

The hardest part will be getting the first one made. I know a little about the plastic injection molding industry, and the parallel here is the cost of prototyping. Very high tooling cost. Sounds like these would be handmade, so labor costs would also be high. But if it can be streamlined into component parts and then the final assembly could be simplified, you could reduce the man-hours per piece. Once that's done you can amortize the cost over the production run.

The other thing to think about here is that the availability of new bulkheads could create a new market. One could build a series Land Rover from the ground up. Everything else is out there to build a brand new one!
    Unfortunately you have mis-interpreted what I have written-Go back and re-read what I wrote before getting hostile. I am simply stating that the market in the USA is limited for bulkheads due to the limited amount of LR's that exist here. You are kidding about people re-importing Rovers back to the UK-right? They cant give them away overthere. Furthermore , I highly doubt that most people would pay 2500-3000 for a new bulkhead when they can restore there own for a few dollars in sheet metal, because it would cost at least that much to cover reproducing the limited amount that they would sell. In my experience, the people why cry the loudest for other people to make a NLA part are the first ones to back out, when the reality of price comes into play.

Bertha I am so happy you can do it all yourself. I guess you are a better Rover owner than I. No I can't weld but I do all my own repairs so I strongly suggest you watch your blanket statements about my abilities. I do know that parts wise alone it will cost me $727 just in repair panels my eyes tell me I need which doesn't take into consideration shipping. It also doesn't take into consideration welding, painting or galvanizing, nothing. How in heavens's name can anyone think you add a 2a dash and the area around the vents for less than $300? I have been doing my homework and know for a fact that I can get a fully repaired and primed bulkhead in England for $1700 and have been quoted $3200 for a brand new one. I also know there is a gentleman in Thailand that is talking about building Series body panels and bulkheads. So you see there is also market outside the US for NLA Series body parts. When it is all said and done it all comes down to whom do I want to give my money to and how soon I can get the old one swaped for the new one for I drive mine every day. These are the things that are driving me in this arena. Believe me if Ike Goss ever makes a bulkhead I'll be the first in line.
    Would you pay 3200.00 for a new one? The guy in Thailand is TALKING yet not doing anything at this point. Dont get any false hopes there. Try shipping something over from England -that 1700.00 will quickly escalate to a ridiculous level, not to mention, most English repair methods on Rovers are less than satifactory. BTW- where are you getting the $727.00 in repair panels from. If you dont do the work yourself, you wouldonly need to buy the posts. The person you bring it to should easily be able to fabricate everything else-which will lead to a better fit and a much nicer repair.

No I can't pay $3200 for a new one nor do I expect someone to build me one for $1000 either. To answer your question, I need everything from the dash down on my bulkhead to be able to get rid of the rust plus both door pillars. I based my price on our host's prices. To me if it were easy to fabricate these pieces why would anybody stock them? Anybody could build them right? You are absolutely right about the cost of shipping from England. The ace in the hole that I have is that a fellow Rover owner is bringing a container over early in 2009 and I can get some space. If it weren't for him I'd be looking a an easy $600 for shipping. I simply know of someone in the US that is seriously looking into building bulkheads. I was trying selfishly to speed up the process because of the pure quality of that person's work is simply what I want.
    J

Question

I do know that parts wise alone it will cost me $727 just in repair panels my eyes tell me I need which doesn't take into consideration shipping. It also doesn't take into consideration welding, painting or galvanizing, nothing. How in heavens's name can anyone think you add a 2a dash and the area around the vents for less than $300?
    If you are going to make new bulkheads why screw around with repair panels at retail prices? If you are going to fabricate something you may as well build it from the ground up- right? That ensures you have control over the resources you are depending on to make the bulkheads to begin with.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you?

[edit] OK we posted at the same time I misunderstood you. FWIW A lot of people have been repairing bulkheads without the benefit of repair panels though.
    Last edited by yorker; 02-05-2008 at 08:09 PM.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

No I can't pay $3200 for a new one nor do I expect someone to build me one for $1000 either. To answer your question, I need everything from the dash down on my bulkhead to be able to get rid of the rust plus both door pillars. I based my price on our host's prices. To me if it were easy to fabricate these pieces why would anybody stock them? Anybody could build them right? You are absolutely right about the cost of shipping from England. The ace in the hole that I have is that a fellow Rover owner is bringing a container over early in 2009 and I can get some space. If it weren't for him I'd be looking a an easy $600 for shipping. I simply know of someone in the US that is seriously looking into building bulkheads. I was trying selfishly to speed up the process because of the pure quality of that person's work is simply what I want.
    J
    Simply stated, and not trying to offend, I think that getting a bulkhead built in the US from scratch, while admirable and helpful, will probably never get off the ground for the reason that you just answered- no one would be willing to pay the price of what it would take to produce it, which could easily be 3k or more. Our host offers panels for the DIYer, I seriously doubt that a professional fabricator who would redo your bulkhead , would buy anything past the door posts, for reasons I stated in my last post. Good luck in you quest.
    Last edited by Bertha; 02-05-2008 at 08:11 PM.