Thread: 1990 Range Rover Catalytic converter glowing bright red

Angry 1990 Range Rover Catalytic converter glowing bright red

I have a 90' Rover. I just had the transmission replaced the other day. When I picked it up and was driving home I noticed a smell and it smelled like burning plastic. It also started to feel like I was loosing some engine power after driving it for a few minutes. when I got home, I looked under the rover and noticed that the catalytic converter on the passanger side was glowing bright red. I was told that it can be a clogged catalytic converter or the Rover is running rich. The next day I started it back up and the exhaust was very strong, it smelled like gas. Before the transmission was replaced it ran fine. Were should I start looking?

timing is too advanced, which will burn out your cat if continued to run this way.....

Default Get it fixed

I am not sure of the cause of the red hot catalytic converter but I can tell you what the result will be if not fixed.

The means and methods are always a variable... parked over top of grass or leaves, fuel lines in proximity to exhaust, or just overheating of interior parts (seat cushions and carpet). However, the end results are almost always the same.

(Photo is not a rover - but you get the idea...)
    Last edited by Firemanshort; 10-27-2008 at 04:14 PM.

thumb-up 90' Rover catalytic converter glowing red hot

What will cause the timming to get so out of adjustment? It ran perfectly fine before the transmission war replaced?

Thanx,
    Mike

Did they plug the 02 sensor back in?

Default 90' Rover catalytic converter glowing red hot

Yes, I looked and they are back in and connected.

More likely that while the y-pipe was out the well toasted (literally) cat fell apart and clogged itself. Not entirely uncommon when suddenly subject to previously not encountered forces such as being stood on ones head and etc.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

I would find out what's causing the problem first before you install and new cat.
    Kevin

04 XJ8
    92 RRC
    02 Benz E320

95 RRC (sold 5/10)
    72 Series 3 (sold 4/10)
    70 Series 2A (sold 6/10)
    Morgan +8 (sold 8/09)
    90 Jetta (308k miles) (sold 5/11)
    72 Triumph Stag (sold 1/08