Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SII 109 project

Default SII 109 project

Ok Yorker here we go with my own thread. My apologies for any bad forum etiquette.

In that this potential truck has a Ford V8 I am obviously perusing T.A.W. website in great detail. Naturally I will have a bucket load of quetions.

First off though is there any reason other than gear ratios that you would chose an NP435 over a T-18? While T.A.W. seems to have chosen a T-18 it her web page does not give any preference reasons other than gear ratio that I can find. I am still reading however.

As I like the idea of retaining the LR transfer box I am tempted to go the T-18 route as I have an obvious resource for info on the build to adapt the two boxes together.
    Cheers
    Gregor

I like the NP435 better. Its a little shorter and shifts nicer (in my opinion than the T-18. But its personal preference. I also would put a SBC in a rover over a ford V8 any day of the week. The process for making the adaptor for either transmission is the same, so that shouldnt be an issue in your decision.
    Last edited by leafsprung; 01-27-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks Ike,
    The only reason I'm takling Ford is that the truck already has a 289 fitted. If I was starting from scratch I would probably be going diesel but that would break the bank on this project right now.

The truck has the 289 fitted to a series box which I know is going to be a problem si I'm looking for some stronger cogs.

Cheers
    Gregor.

Not like SBCs are expensive, sell the ford and buy one, or sell it and buy a diesel, you could get a running 6AT for a couple grand. I have a friend who is selling his diesel 109 project. Its a sprung over 3 door on FJ60 axles with a cummins/NP435/HR rover t-case.

-Ike
    Last edited by leafsprung; 01-27-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks for the info Ike.

Other than personal preference is there any fundemental reasons the Ford is bad. I got the impression from a picture on your website that you don't like 'em. I can't say I'm a huge fan or anything but just looking for some solid inforamtion to base my decisions on.

I would be interested in seeing some more info on your friends project. My issue is that I really need a SW as it is to become a family vehicle. I know conversions can be done but, as always it comes down to comparing what you've got to start with to where you want to get to in a budget. Converting a 2 door to a SW sounds like it could get expensive.

Cheers
    Gregor

Which picture was that? Ford v8s are not bad per se. However the SBC has the advantage in parts interchageability and aftermarket support. Which is why you see a lot of SBCs in ford hotrods . . .

If the Ford engine is OK I doubt I'd bother changing it for a SBC. I've never had any great affinity for SBC or Ford Small Blocks. Either are ok, I'd go with what you have. They are all light duty car/truck engines and will work well enough in any Land Rover.

It might be worth running the serial #s on the 289 though just to see if it is something that might be worth more to someone doing a resto on a Mustang or something.

The NP435 is better then the T18 IMHO. I may end up using a T18 for my 109 but only because it is available locally I'd prefer the 435.

FWIW Ford Fuel injection is pretty simple. Speed density or mass air...
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    Which picture was that? Ford v8s are not bad per se. However the SBC has the advantage in parts interchageability and aftermarket support. Which is why you see a lot of SBCs in ford hotrods . . .
    Yup same reason you see ford 9" rear ends under mopar hot rods and others...

Gregor FWIW here is a lightweight a friend of mine is building, it is where my Sals went:

http://www.landroverusaforums.com/fo...read.php?t=535

Ike- how did the FJ60 axles work out on your friend's 109? I have been looking for a set for my Ambulance I found a set of free floater FJ60 axles on Long Island which kind of intrigue me. - I might use the set of FJ40 axles I already have but I'd like to reserve them for an 88".
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Well there's a rather nice looking project for sale on line right now in Ohio. A 67IIA 109 with galvy bulkhead, chassis & B-pillars for about the right price. Two questions:
    1. Does anyone know the guy who's offering it?
    2. I am sure it was on here that there was a thread showing a blue coil sprung series station wagon. Does anyone know who that is and where the pictures are.

Cheers
    Gregor

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    First off though is there any reason other than gear ratios that you would chose an NP435 over a T-18? While T.A.W. seems to have chosen a T-18 it her web page does not give any preference reasons other than gear ratio that I can find. I am still reading however.
    I didn't so much choose a T-18 nine years ago when the conversion was done as Timm Cooper recommended the box and I went with his recommendation. He stopped recommending the box years ago. The T-18 is a very rugged box but the shift pattern is very loose and you have to shift by guessiing where the gear should be instead of by feel.

If I were to do it all over again and money were no object I suspect I would go with the 1995 or newer version of the NV4500 five speed with Timm's adapter. If I were to do it over again with a 4 speed I would pick the close ratio NP435.

Close ratio? Yep. A T-18 has a 6.32:1 granny first gear, which using 4.7 R&P & C or later suffix transfercase provides a low range first gear ratio of close to 70:1. Stock for a Series IIA is 40.7:1. I find 40.7:1 to be too tall for much of the more technical off road driving I do. But 70:1 is much lower than I need and with V8 torque it is hard to keep the pedal still enough to apply steady power. For the kind of technical driving I do I've tended to prefer a gear around 55:1. I just never use low range first. What good is having a gear you almost never use?

Actually I use first gear high range a lot on the trail because the axle ratio (with Ashcroft kit in the transfercase) is very close to stock series low range second gear. If I'm traveling with Series LRs who are using low second I easily go the same speed in high first. If they drop to low first I can usually drop my RPM to idle or near idle and travel at the same speed. My engine has more torque at idle than a 2.25L has at peak so dropping that RPM works when trailing with stock Series rigs. When I travel with stock Series rigs I never need to drop ino low range. I carry four gears I don't use in that kind of situation.

Close ratio NP435 first gear is 4.78:1, granny first is 6.69:1 (Ford version), Suffix C & later low range transfercase ratio is 2.35:1 and the stock series R&P ratio is 4.7:1.

Therefore the low range first gear axle ratio for the close ratio Ford version of the NP435 is 53:1 and for the granny gear version is 74:1

If you are building a serious rock crawler 70:1 or 74:1 is good to have but for a Dormobile that occasionally does moderate rock crawling the 53:1 ratio is more useful in more places and still much superior to the stock 40.7:1

Anyway, that's what I would do if I were to do it over again. I stayed away from recomendations on my gearbox web pages because I don't want to limit people's ideas and their needs are likely different from mine.

By the way, it is T.J.W. My middle name is Jennifer