Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explain this to me: Timing Conversion Kit

Default Explain this to me: Timing Conversion Kit

Previous owner gave me a box of unused parts with the Rover. One included this 2.25 Petrol Timing Conversion Kit.

Can anyone explain the benefits of installing this or what it actually does?

Thanks ahead of time

1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

Holy crap, Zues makes gears for a 2.25 Rover? Too funny!!

What they do is eliminate the timing chain. Noisy but useful on high horsepower engines. No stretch, no breakage.

But really, timing gears in a Rover???? I wouldn't bother.

jim

Zeus timing gear eliminate the timing belt or in the case of the 2.25 engine the time chain. Chains break very rarely but belts on TDi engines have been know to fail.

Personally I see little benefit on an engine with a timing chain like you 2.25 4 pot.

Paul

Like the others, I'm a bit surprised to see this product. Seems like overkill for a rover.

Anyway, if you install it, the benefits are as follows: No deviation in timing that can be caused by a worn out or stretched timing chain, no chain to break, and the ability to brag about your gear driven timing in your rover.

The downside is that a gear driven timing set ups are usually loud as hell. They generally make a high pitched whining sound.

Gear driven timing is usually used in hotrod motors. Most guys I know don't like the noise.

Hell, ebay it. I'm sure you'll get something for it.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

I had a truck with this kit. It wasnt too noisey. Sell it to someone that HAS to have it.

Wasn't there an issue with the questionable materials used in the Zeus kits? I seem to remember Turner and Zues in a big pissing match over the whole thing.
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

Zues has made those for some time now. Google them. Couple of batches were not properly heat treated that led to premature failure.

EwS

Years ago(1990's) I almost bought a "souped up" 2.25 diesel that had this installed. Seems to me it was like in '98 or so. Some guy in the Missouri or somewhere like that had it for sale for $800. He'd pulled the engine for a 2.5 diesel IIRC.

The Zeuss timing kit he had added to the 2.25 for added reliability. I often wondered where that 2.25 ended up.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by thixon

Gear driven timing is usually used in hotrod motors. Most guys I know don't like the noise.
    It is retrofitted to a lot of hotrods however timing gears were stock on a lot of the older I-6s and 4s. IIRC the Iron Duke 4 used them, GM I-6s, Ford 300 I6- they weren't real noisy in those applications.

A lot of those engines had an enviable reputation for longevity.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Thanks for all the great input. I seriously doubt I'll be cracking open the 2.5 to do an install like this anytime soon. I'll probably just end up selling it to someone who actually needs it. I was just curious as I have a big box of parts and this was one of the bigger ticket items.
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|