Thread: Tire Choices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tire Choices

I'm thinking about new tires - what are some good choices?

There's the Goodyear MT/R

what else? I have 15's also - would it be a good idea to upgrade to 16's?
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

I've had great luck with BF Goodrich All-Terrain M&S. They were recommended years ago by Mike Hopwood and Mark Letorney, and I've not been disappointed. The first set went 40,000 miles with a lot of highway driving. They were also great in off road conditions, in winter snow or summer mud.

Then came a set of Coopers that were strong, gave me a little less longevity and a little less off road performance [or else I'm not that good off road anymore ].

So I returned to the same Goodrich tires for my latest set. So far this winter, they've done a great job. The Maine Winter Romp is this weekend, so if - no, when - I get stuck, I can blame the tires

I switched from 15" to 16" wheels many years ago and I am glad for the change. The smaller wheels and tires let you accelerate a little faster but they turn more at speed. If the motor is strong on the car, the 16" wheel serves more like an overdrive. If you switch wheels, you will need to change speedometers, too, or live with an inaccurate reading of the blazing speed of your II-A!

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Aronson
    I've had great luck with BF Goodrich All-Terrain M&S. They were recommended years ago by Mike Hopwood and Mark Letorney, and I've not been disappointed. The first set went 40,000 miles with a lot of highway driving. They were also great in off road conditions, in winter snow or summer mud.

Then came a set of Coopers that were strong, gave me a little less longevity and a little less off road performance [or else I'm not that good off road anymore ].

So I returned to the same Goodrich tires for my latest set. So far this winter, they've done a great job. The Maine Winter Romp is this weekend, so if - no, when - I get stuck, I can blame the tires

I switched from 15" to 16" wheels many years ago and I am glad for the change. The smaller wheels and tires let you accelerate a little faster but they turn more at speed. If the motor is strong on the car, the 16" wheel serves more like an overdrive. If you switch wheels, you will need to change speedometers, too, or live with an inaccurate reading of the blazing speed of your II-A!

Jeff
    thanks Jeff! Well I'm actually about 4-5 mph OVER my actual speed at the moment, so my guess is that I already have a 16" speedometer?
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Default Interco Trxus

Running 255/86R 16's ont the ambulance and 235's on the beater RR, work great in snow ice mud....and you can not beat the price.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Some pretty good info about tires has been posted before. I hope this helps.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/se...searchid=26495

I'm running 33X9.50X15 BFG ATs front MTs rear and hate the MTs. They are horrible in packed snow and ice which I drive a lot in. I personally don't see the need for 16 inch rims as long as I can can the 33" BFGs that at narrower.
    Jim