Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Choices

I will have to agree with the comments about the BFG A/T's, they are good for everything but mud. Especially if you have sticky clay, it just packs on and makes for 4 huge "mud" tires, literaly.

I have run BFG A/T's on my jeep cherokee and toyota 4runner but they didnt see as much off road as my Series. I am running BFG Trac Edge's on the SIII, but they dont make those anymore . When they finally go, i will get something agressive but not too soft. I dont have to deal with snow here so its not a big deal.

What i want to do eventually is have a set of high milage street tires and a set of off road tires for it. Swap on a set of MT's for when i go out to play and keep the non agressive tires for everyday driving.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Default Interco

http://www.intercotire.com/piclib/590.jpg

Voids for mud and siped for snow and ice.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Quote Originally Posted by JimCT
    http://www.intercotire.com/piclib/590.jpg

Voids for mud and siped for snow and ice.
    Those may be my next set, but i have heard some horror stories about how hard they are to ballance, out of round, etc.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

how hard do those 'super traxion' tires ride? I love the classic look of them since they seem close to what came on Rovers originally - are there major downfalls?
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

They are pretty much what you would expect from cheap bias ply tires.

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung

They are pretty much what you would expect from cheap bias ply tires.
    great truck!

having run radials all my life, I don't know that I'd know what to expect. I'd assume hard-riding....
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Default Bias tires

Just do a google search for bias ply tires will tell you everything youd ever want to know about the pros and cons and construction differences.

Lookup treadwright on google. I ordered a set of their re-tread tires for the first time a few years back. Ran them ever since on all of my trucks. They have a pattern in a 235-85-16 that looks like the dunlop mud rover. If you use your LR for all around everything kind of driving they work great. I have them on my Series III and my Disco. My friend runs them on his D110 and another on his Disco. Some may not like the idea of a re-tread tire but I think they are worth the cheap price you will pay for them. I used to run the same size BFG Mud Terrains on all of my vehicles and for the price of the retreads you cant go wrong. Just my opinion?

Default tire swap

Scott - Did you take the Dunlops off the "Highlander" and put on re-treads?

Firemanshort
    (Past owner of the "Highlander")

Default balancing powder

Use Equal balancing powder rahter than weights that get knocked off anyhow.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR