Thread: Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel

Default Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel

What if anything will the new diesel blend do to older diesel engines or Rover diesels. Anybody have an idea or want to hazzard a guess?
    Jim

You should be running a fuel treatment in any diesel built more then five years ago. I like Lucas Fuel Treatment myself. Powerservice make a good one too.

Jim,
    If I get a 2.5 NA Rover engine that is newly rebuilt does the need for additives still reply? What does sulphur do anyway?
    Jim

As I understand it, the process that reduces sulfer content also reduced lubricating properties in the fuel. The biggest problem is wear and failure to the fuel and injection pump in early diesels. Additives prevent this. I would think the sulfer also has something to do with cushioning the valve seats as in early petrol engines, but to tell you the truth I'm not sure about that. Modern diesel fuel also tends to have a lower cetain value than it used to. The Powerservice stuff boosts cetain a few points. (Cetain in diesel is like octain in gasoline.)

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    Jim,
    If I get a 2.5 NA Rover engine that is newly rebuilt does the need for additives still reply? What does sulphur do anyway?
    Jim
    It isn't the engine that needs the sulphur- it is the injection pump. All the LR injection pumps are designed to lubricate with their own fuel supply rather than the engine's oil. They aren't tolerant of other viscosity fuels either like SVO.

Use an additive- 2-5% of bio-diesel would do the trick. Some people use el cheapo 2 cycle oil- You could probably use any number of oils- even 90wt(plenty of sulphur there!) Some work better than others.

read this:
    http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums