Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: got my belgium series 3 4x2 home today

Default got my belgium series 3 4x2 home today

well i bought the 4x2 Ex belgium military 88 that series 3 was local, the guy delivered it today

now the fun starts

it was 24 volt and has been converted to 12 with a delco alternator and the proper coil and distributor

it has the zenith carb on it that i think i need to fiddle with, my 88 has a miss and no power but it does run and idle, the exhaust smells gassy so i am thinking i either have an air/vacuum leek or the carb is tuned too rich, but i have not had time today or the energy to fiddle with it

i am going to get the interior cleaned out tomorrow

stupid question, is there a trick to getting the internal passenger door lock to actually lock, i tried pushing the button/knob on the door above the handle in and i locked as long as i was holding the button in, but as soon as i released the button it was unlocked

we now have two rovers sitting in our driveway, dads disco series 2 and my series 3 mom is thinking about getting a disco series 2 when her jaguar is payed off too

i have heard it said that an old vehicle chooses its new owner, well mine locked me in as soon as i shut the door when i looked at it saturday, so i told my 88 that as long as the frame was good and it started and ran than i could have a new home in my driveway and i would be its new owner/care taker, well it sits in my driveway now

i know some people here are curious as to how the transfer case and front axle look on the 4x2 and i will get picts taken tomorrow as long as its not raining (the weather guessing people are talking rain though)

i have the front axle, drive shaft and transfer case to convert my 88 to 4x4 and when it gets warm i will get that done, the guy i bought my rover from is going to ship the two levers i need the hi/lo lever and the yellow knobbed 4wd lever/stick the ground is too cold to swap the axle and transfer case now

thank you again to all the people here who helped guide me in my decision to buy my rover, thank you for all your advice and opinions and steering me away from a couple of rovers

i am home now and DSL is a very good thing i was using dial up at my grandma,s
    Last edited by autoguy; 02-25-2008 at 12:32 AM.

Never a stupid question. Did you try twisting the knob after pushing it in? Least that's the way on the series IIs. Some might ask why lock...

Welcome to spending a lot of time under the hood or on your back.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Hormel
    Never a stupid question. Did you try twisting the knob after pushing it in? Least that's the way on the series IIs. Some might ask why lock...

Welcome to spending a lot of time under the hood or on your back.
    John
    thanks, i tried twisting the knob a bit but i might not have gotten it twisted far enough, i will try again monday

the hilarious part about me locking the rover is that the drivers door lock, locks with a screwdriver, the ignition key does not fit the lock hole, so it could easily be unlocked with a screwdriver

i figure if i lock my rover that it will deter said thief for a few seconds and i can grab a gun or let my boxer loose after said thief, the boxer is crotch trained
    Last edited by autoguy; 02-25-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    the boxer is crotch trained[/B]
    Just pray that the Boxer never gets confused when attacking!
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover
    Just pray that the Boxer never gets confused when attacking!
    LOL I would be inside if I let him after said thief

on a serious note, right now the battery is dead in my rover and the gas is shut off and it has a miss, it has a zenith carb

I will upload the Picts I took on the way home of my 88 on the trailer, Monday afternoon

Lets see some pic's good luck with your project !

Quote Originally Posted by autoguy
    stupid question, is there a trick to getting the internal passenger door lock to actually lock, i tried pushing the button/knob on the door above the handle in and i locked as long as i was holding the button in, but as soon as i released the button it was unlocked
    Never a stupid question when you're asking on this board!

When my SIII door locks go up but won't stay, it usually means that the door isn't locked all the way. Give her a good slam and see if that helps. Put your weight into it.

Also with, my truck, when the doors start to need a good slam I usually take that as a sign to add a drop of oil to the lock mechanisms. Seriously! Take some time (an afternoon) to put a few drops of 3-in-1 oil to all of the little moving parts in the truck. You'll find that it does wonders for making the doors, shifters, peddles, cables and everything else work as they should.

It's good therapy for the truck and yourself.

---
    By the way, I still say your money was better invested on those Rolex's. Although you should find that owning a series rover is, in fact, priceless.

Cheers,
    Tim

Aren't pictures required for all new purchases?

Tim Smith, thanks i will either use 3 in 1 or brake free gun oil, i have some militec gun oil too that is slicker than snot, i might use it

my 88 also came with the 24V starter and generator, which are both heavy by the way

ducttape and sayers, mmm pictures i will get more picts taken this afternoon, and will get the picts uploaded from my iphone that i took on the trip home with my 88 on the trailer ride home

i need to think up a name for my rover too

picts from the previous owner

Quote Originally Posted by autoguy
    i need to think up a name for my rover too

picts from the previous owner

Name for the rover eh?
    Hmm, I can't help but notice the name of that vapor barrier on the garage in the back ground.

Just a thought.

Take care,
    Tim