Thread: 1993 NAS 110

Default 1993 NAS 110

What differences are there between the Defender 110 1993 NAS and a domestic (british market) 1993 110? The diesel engine could be an obvious difference, but what other mods, beside the external cage, would be necessary to keep DOT content? Would they care about RHD? VIN? etc. I'm certain these are not original thoughts.

The euro market (and Canadian for that matter) have different VIN configurations that raise a red flag when you try to register or insure these "gray market" vehicles within the US. If you try to import one of these vehicles (unless it is 25 years old or older), it will be impounded and destroyed, and you will be fined and could face jail time.

That being said, it is completely legal and quite common to restore an older Land-Rover to a newer vehicle specification.

A rusty old 88 could bennifit from a new galvanised 110 frame from RN and the other 110 parts from wrecked vehicles from around the world could find their way onto that frame, even if those parts happen to be UK market parts...

It is legal to import parts from a newer (that 25 years old) vehicle, just not a complete vehicle. So, you could get a rolling chassis and drive train from a diesel 110 in the UK and add a US spec body quite easily, and it is completely legal. Just remember to update your registration for the engine change from gas to diesel.
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dixon
    What differences are there between the Defender 110 1993 NAS and a domestic (british market) 1993 110? The diesel engine could be an obvious difference, but what other mods, beside the external cage, would be necessary to keep DOT content? Would they care about RHD? VIN? etc. I'm certain these are not original thoughts.
    I imported a 1985 British, rhd, 2,5 petrol, 5 door, 110 in 2000AD when they became legal in Canada.......the British VIN gave the NB Govt. computer a headache when i tried to register it.......but i was successful in so doing, the next issue was the insurance company, they ended up showing it as a 1983 on the certificate.... i never bothered to argue the case with them....

Anyway when sat beside my 1967 NADA 109" the overall exterior body dimensions and individual pieces were exact, the main difference being the front fenders inner well, its modified for the shock towers and the extended grill location and the 110 had roll up widows, although early 110's and military 110's had/have slanted sliding windows...... Oh yes, and the dash is different, sort of an updated Series 3 type.......

I know this dosn't answer your original question about the difference netween a NAD 110 and a British 110, sorry i don't know.........
    but..if you were wanting to build your own 110 style i'm sure you could do it, starting with a 110 coil sprung frame......then using mostly 109" body parts, including a USA registered Series III bulkhead and import a 110 front clip from a breakers yard in the UK..........and Range Rover or Discovery axels, drivetrain, etc.......

I once saw a built up 110 that East Coast Rovers had done for a client, excellent piece of work rumoured to have cost $75,000

I've often thought a neat project would be to put a Series anything body on a Range Rover/Disco frame........

anyway i digress.......

Good Luck with whatever you decide
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dixon

First why on earth would you seek a RHD ? besides being so very British, and may be so very very early LeMans style, after all it's a Land Rover and much used as a every day vehicle. So if you even consider getting any 110 seek yourself a LHD version, there a plenty around the world even from time to time in the UK. For those that really luv RHD vehicles, reversing thru the McD's drive thru gets old really fast. Delivering Mail comes to mind.... that sounds like a more interesting reason to own a RHD rover. FYI in Canada you cannot use a RHD vehicle to deliver mail, I wonder what the story is in the US.

Now to the differences between 93 110's....

well....

according to LRNA at the time.... rollcage, rollcage mountings, engine with EFI, frame (some special modification around fueltank I think), roofrack, front bumper with indicators,.... hmmm I am sure I missed something.... roofrack.....

I had a right hander a number of years ago and loved it. it was a series II 109. In fact, I still have a suzuki (pre-samuri) RHD, but it doesn't leave the ranch. Now driving on the left side of the road with a RHD...there are moments where on could "soil" themselves.