Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amusing ad on Ebay

Default PH4: His Waxoyl-type product is actually LPS-3.

You can buy it in cans at many Ace Hardware stores or in bulk at industrial supply houses.
    I bought it from him back in the early '90's and then figured out what the stuff was. I then bought it locally a few times but eventually switched to real Waxoyl - couldn't take the smell of the LPS3 after a while (too sicky-sweet). It does work extremely well, however (IMO) and creeps everywhere you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha
    I found this ad amusing from one of the self -proclaimed "great" Land Rover restorers. Funny how they can claim to notice 30 subtle but substantial faults with this Rover from 10 pictures. Which is it sublte or substantial. He also claims that it would take him another 15-25k to restore the truck properly? What could you possibly purchase for that truck to get to that amount. I think this advertising as to why not to go to him. If he is such an expert, what is with the 10k discrepency. If you bought an entire new drivetrain you could not spend that amount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Land-Rover-serie...QQcmdZViewItem
    Looks like someone was bored at work yesterday surfing ebay...I also agree I cannot imagine where 15-25k would come from. I will definitely not be using any of his appraisal services!

I love brit cars (as many of you do), and have had a bunch of 'em. This kinda guy isn't uncommon. There are a ton in the brit car world. Every mark has its pompass know-it-all. If any of you guys want a jag, MG, or Triumph, I'll tell you who to steer clear of!

If he's able to sell a "restored" series to some bone head for as much as an e-type, then good for him! Hopefully it props up the value of our trucks.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by TedW
    You can buy it in cans at many Ace Hardware stores or in bulk at industrial supply houses.
    I bought it from him back in the early '90's and then figured out what the stuff was. I then bought it locally a few times but eventually switched to real Waxoyl - couldn't take the smell of the LPS3 after a while (too sicky-sweet). It does work extremely well, however (IMO) and creeps everywhere you put it.
    Have you tried Dinitrol AV-8, 15 or 30? I've tried AV-15 and it has worked pretty well. It doesn't really smell or remain sticky like LPS-3. It is availiable in a lot of different places and no need to deal with cornflakes...
    Last edited by yorker; 03-03-2008 at 09:29 AM.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums