Thread: Tap for Bonnet Tire Carrier

Default Tap for Bonnet Tire Carrier

Does anyone have a British Standard 1/2x16 tap that I can borrow to tap out my tire carrier after I just galv it? I just need to chase the threads on 2 holes and hate to have to buy the tap for $26 plus shipping just to clean out 2 holes..

Randy
    Last edited by Tdi Guy; 12-01-2006 at 04:01 PM.
    1984 D-90 Tdi
    71 IIa 88 Perkins Prima Powered
    1995 D-90 SW Tdi #413
    No Gas burner Here............

Randy

Default Cheap tap

Use a hacksaw to make a couple verticle slots in an old bolt. Use some oil and gently work it down into the threads, backing off and going forward half a turn. You'll have to clean out the hacksaw cuts in the bolt frequently, but it'll get the job done.

http://www.britishfasteners.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Try the above link. They have decent prices on Whitworth, BS tools, taps, and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adams
    Use a hacksaw to make a couple verticle slots in an old bolt. Use some oil and gently work it down into the threads, backing off and going forward half a turn. You'll have to clean out the hacksaw cuts in the bolt frequently, but it'll get the job done.

You know, I could go with that (have done it in the past myself); except that that particular bolt is a $20 bolt itself.... I really don't want to kill one of those bolts when a tap is about the same price.... (MSC is a bit less than McMaster, but not by much.... maybe shopping around will turn up one for less).
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD