Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locking Hubs?

Default Locking Hubs?

I am only familiar with AWD found on the Outback and the Full-Time 4WD found on the Discovery. Could somebody please explain to me how these locking hubs on the Series Rover function? When would you need to lock them? What is it locking? Anybody know what kind of hubs these are?

Thanks!
    Former owner of 1967 Series IIA 109 NADA
    1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7
    1995 Range Rover Classic SWB

Are the Dualmatic Hubs similar in concept to freewheeling hubs? Do I need to engage and disengage the hubs to unwind, etc?

Default Hubs

Dualmatic is a brand of free wheel (aka locking) hubs. First non ad link on google:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/hubs.html

leafsprung

Thank you for the links! Now, I have a pretty good idea how these things work. Looks like they were also used on a lot of old Jeeps as well.

Land Rovers need to have the free wheeling hubs locked every 100 miles or so just to get oil moving around the differential, right?

Sounds like the Dualmatics were a dealer option common on many Rovers, but many folks think they are just junk. Anything to watch out for in making these things last?

I had them on an 88. They worked fine. Just real quirky to spin the little levers. I'm sure there is someone on this forum who has more experience with them as I only had that car a few years, but had no problem.

just engage them once in a while and you'll be fine.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

never seen or heard of a failure from not locking the hubs. There is no bearing at the top of the swivel only a bushing which is normally greased. Besides the axle shafts still turn some. If you arent using 4wd, you dont need to own a rover anyway.

Default I've got an old pair on an 88..

They appear to be well built internally as well. Other than fiddling with the levers to engage/disengage, I haven't had any problems.

dualmatics are weaker than Warn M-11 or MAPs. The engagement mechanism is not very stout.