Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locking Hubs?

I have a set of the superwinch freewheeling hubs. that i bought new last summer. They look great. and work even better.
    '60 Series II

Default I guess it's relative..

my dualmatics have lasted for 40 years or so without failure. I think that's relatively durable. I have a set of Warns, too, and haven't had any problems with those either.

Strength is relative. If you compare the internal mechanism to some of the other hubs you can tell they are not as strong. Ive seen several broken examples of most common types of locking hub. Just a few more dualmatics (and faireys) than the others. Doesnt mean they wont or dont work.

Quote Originally Posted by highmile
    I am only familiar with AWD found on the Outback and the Full-Time 4WD found on the Discovery. Could somebody please explain to me how these locking hubs on the Series Rover function? When would you need to lock them? What is it locking? Anybody know what kind of hubs these are?

Thanks!
    Highmile,
    I still sense you haven't gotten an answer to your question: The 'when' & 'what' part.
    The AWD Outback and Fulltime 4WD Discovery are the same, Just different terms. Selectable 4WD drive systems don't have center differentials. When you select 4 WD, you are shifting transmission (via transfer case) power to the front driveshaft. Equal power is now going to each driveshaft. Without front locking hubs (or more correctly, 'unlocking hubs) even in 2wd, your front wheels will be turning you front axles, differential, and driveshaft. This is unnecessary wear to a slight degree, but also an unnecessary waste of energy. Unlock the hubs, and you aren't wasting engine output to make the truck move dead parts (in thick oil up here in New England)
    Dualmatics came out with the CJ2A jeep, and were sufficient for that truck, and the 2.25 Land Rover. They won't handle much more than those two engines. They all do essentially the same thing: disconnect the wheel from the axle, but the engagement/dissengagement mechanism differs in all of them.

The original links that leafspring provided more than answered my original questions. Originally, I wasn't sure what I had and how they functioned, but now I think I have a pretty good idea how they function.

Thanks!
    Former owner of 1967 Series IIA 109 NADA
    1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7
    1995 Range Rover Classic SWB

Default hubs

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    never seen or heard of a failure from not locking the hubs. There is no bearing at the top of the swivel only a bushing which is normally greased. Besides the axle shafts still turn some. If you arent using 4wd, you dont need to own a rover anyway.
    dam! that's sassy. i had unlocking hubs on my very strong V-8ed Scout, and it was recommended to use them. in first gear that Scout would pull a President off Mt Rushmore, so is the NADA 6cyl too much for the hubs Highmile has? aren't there Fairley ODs on a lot of Rovers, incl Sixs?
    Last edited by chrismccarthy; 05-08-2008 at 12:48 PM.
    67 NADA 109 SW, 97 XD, an ABARTH (wife's), 2004 Evo RS, and two Alfas

Quote Originally Posted by chrismccarthy
    aren't there Farley ODs on a lot of Rovers, incl Sixs?
    Yes. You can still buy them as an add on to this day.