Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel Pump

AZRover - Did the pump work when you put it in? You mentioned in an early posting that it appeared you had no power to the pump.

Everyone - My '96 Disco died yesterday. Fuel pump fuse blown. Replaced it, it blew again. Opened up the access to the fuel pump, unplugged the wiring harness, replaced fuse, but test light shows no juice at the pump. So, I hooked everything back up, went to the fuse box and checked to see if circuit would be complete by pulling the fuse and jumping the circuit with the test light - No light, no reaction from the pump. Does this sound like a relay problem? Or is there some sort of fail safe built in that would prevent continuous power to the pump? Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay(s) are located in a '96 Discovery?

I'm certainly no expert on this but one idea came to mind...

Is there a security system? Perhaps this is interrupting the power to the fuel pump if faulty...
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Just the standard LR alarm that sets when you lock the doors. There is no aftermarket system on the car. Doors were unlocked - open - when we started trying to figure it out, so LR system was disarmed.

Default Fuel Pump

I have a 95 Disco that currently was not starting - it has been standing for a couple of months. I checked the firing of the plug wires by using a timing light - all cyl are firing. So it appeared there was no fuel to the motor. I didn't hear the pump run (pressurize) when I first turned on the key. Checked all of the fuses and only found the fuse for the side lights blown. Replaced it. I measured 5.2 volts at the connector for the fuel pump with the key turned on. Later, I pulled the fuel pump and measured across the red and black wires which measured 90K ohms with a multimeter on the ohms scale( this is much higher resistance than should be). I brought the fuel pump to a LR mechanic who confirmed that the pump was bad. When I get a new pump, I will post the proper resistance of the new pump motor and the resistance of the float. PS: I am an electronic technician, but without schematics of the wiring it is difficult to trace the relays for the fuel pump. One thing I did notice, there was no pressure in the rail when I depressed the air valve in the injector rail ( metal pipe on top of the motor). My pump was replaced about 2 years ago with the gas tank , when LR had a recall replacement for the tanks. So, with only 10,000 miles on the pump, and the DISCO sitting for 2-3 months, should not have gone. PS, make sure you have gas in the tank. Running the pump without gas in the tank will burn up the pump. I may have a bad or sticking float which was reading 1/2 tank when in reality I was empty- the jury is out on this one.

Art @ Cape Cod

Quote Originally Posted by DCarr
    AZRover - Did the pump work when you put it in? You mentioned in an early posting that it appeared you had no power to the pump.

Everyone - My '96 Disco died yesterday. Fuel pump fuse blown. Replaced it, it blew again. Opened up the access to the fuel pump, unplugged the wiring harness, replaced fuse, but test light shows no juice at the pump. So, I hooked everything back up, went to the fuse box and checked to see if circuit would be complete by pulling the fuse and jumping the circuit with the test light - No light, no reaction from the pump. Does this sound like a relay problem? Or is there some sort of fail safe built in that would prevent continuous power to the pump? Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay(s) are located in a '96 Discovery?

had some fuel pump problems myself; i would recommend downloading rave to check wiring diagrams, there are some relays that can/are known to cause issues. I actually rebuilt my fuel pump with parts from a local store for very little money, a new screen and a generic pump that fits the factory assembly and pushes adequate pressure and problem solved. one thing to check for certain is gonna be your fuel pressure regulator at the end of the fuel rail, if its not keeping pressure when your pump is running it can prematurely burn out a pump trying to maintain pressure and prevent normal operation. your float is attached to the rest of the assembly relatively easily accessed through the flooring in the cargo area. also a good place to check for/tend to rust.... i was a bit shocked with the amount I found underneath.

Replacing the fuel pump fixed my problem. Check the fuses on the fuse box in the motor compartment. It certainly could be one of the relays behind the kick pannel on the passengers side. The voltage you measure at the pump may be about 5.0 volts DC. I expected about 12 vdc.

Yes, as SGFMORover mentioned, rust in the fuel pump cover area is certainly a place to check on a regular basis.
    Last edited by lrsucker; 09-23-2007 at 09:25 AM.

My original pump had over 110,000 mi.

Lucky for me, LR decided to recall the fuel tank.

Brought "Lucas" in to the dealer for relacement and requested a Genuine Fuel Pump be installed. Unfortunate for the dealer they had to replace many items hoses, gaskets, ring... Got away unscathed at a mere $300.00.

You must remember to keep your tank 1/4 full. The fuel acts as both a coolant and lubricator for the pump. ALWAYS replace the filter. A clogged filter will make the pump work harder to push the fuel to the cylinders.