Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Kit being Sold..Authentic?

Default Tool Kit being Sold..Authentic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...228537070&rd=1

anyone know the authenticity or value of this ?

looks pretty complete!

on eBay UK and US

Thanks!

9Bozz

almost complete, no original screwdriver. Otherwise looks good. Its worth what someone is willing to pay

Last edited by leafsprung; 03-15-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Q: Does the donkey come with ? That would really be a motivator to bid aggressively ...
    Answered on Mar-16-08
    A: You ass! Obviously it's a Burro! And for you as winner, it's the delivery vehicle! good luck! lb

funny
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Default Leafsprung is correct - kit looks almost complete...

...except for the screwdriver. The original kit came with a screwdriver from various sources, either 2-piece reversible (phillips/flat) from a few different manufacturers or the flat "bent wire" variety. I also have a kit that came with a phillips head that doesn't (or won't) reverse. Might just be stuck. Says "Made in England" on it so I assume it's correct.
    Also, most of the kits I've seen come with a King Dick - type 6" adjustable spanner with no maker's marks. However, it appears that they also came with genuine King Dicks.

The last time I saw a kit like this on ebay it sold for around $270.00. Be interesting to see how high this one goes.

The case that mind came in was a rough type of leather, is this one ?

Default The original tool roll was made of a rubber-backed burlap or jute fabric.

Called "Hessian" cloth in some circles. It can become delicate after 30 years or so. The two rolled up kits in Leafsprung's photo look like they are made of this cloth. Exmoor Trim in the UK makes a very nice (and accurate) reproduction, but from a much sturdier fabric that will far outlast the original.
    Later kits in Series III's came with a vinyl roll (like the opened one in Leafsprung's photo), and at some point came with german-made spanners.

Default Final Sale Price: $345.00 (!!!!!)

Amazing.

Default This tool kit seller obviously has...

..a sense of humor. Most of his prior auctions have Mr Burro included in the pics. I enjoyed his description of this magazine he previously sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230225689714

Jeff
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Im going to have to put mine up, I have all the extras pump jack etc. Ought to be able to get myself another rover with the proceeds.

A vendor at the British Invasion had one for sale at around $250 last year, and it had the "Hessian cloth" roll, not the vinyl holder. Many of the bits in the photographed one simply look too new in design to be original.

Given the road repairs I've had to do on mine over the past 18 years, I'm not so certain I'd like to rely on that drill handle for leverage compared to my socket sets .

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com