Quote Originally Posted by patrickfoley1 View Post
This is the first time that I have endeavored to solve the HDO Question. My research has not provided much information. I can state conclusively that none of the approximately 50 HDO's went to he same place. They were in every color offered, sent to a number of states including Wyoming and Ohio, plus several to various Canadian Provinces, and none had the same name. Several were apparently sold to foreigners residing in the US. One German, one Brit, and one from France. I had "guessed" that HDO meant that they were sent to a "Specialty" shop for modification. 50 "specialty" shops in 2 countries is not logical.

Our unit was very expensive. With 4 ton Koenig Winch, powered off the front PTO, I paid just under $6K for it. That was 6 months pay for a USMC Captain. The sales to "Foreigners" may be a clue. Extending credit to non-citizens was not a common practice. It is possible that HDO meant that the unit was pre-paid.

The photo's showed about the same interior as Clarence. The metal plate in your bottom photo is the only non-factory component shown in these photo's. The under seat heater was most certainly an "add-on". It was not offered when I purchased Clarence. If I can be of any help email me at redbrush2@yahoo.com.

Jim Chandler
Could HDO stand for Home Delivery Offering or something to that effect. My truck was one:
B 174 34300176 17 Jun 1966 04 Jul 1966 Red HDO Moore, Altadena, Rover, New York

I can tell you since I have all the original documentation on my truck that the original owner "Moore" ordered her truck direct from the UK. She then flew there, drove it all over Europe, and shipped it back to the USA. I have the import docs and everything for it but she also told me as much the one time we talked.