Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: 109 NADA Registry

That all sounds familiar on a 101. I pulled the engine and gearbox out mine using the standard cherry picker as I have no way of using an A-frame in my residential garage. Letting air out of the tyres and taking the side panels off it just fit and was really a two man job with a lot of verbal lubrication.

Make sure you go through the radiator thoroughly as these trucks tend to run hot at anything above 50mph when the weather gets anything above about 80°.

I also have the Delco 10SI and just completely rewired the beastie with a Painless kit as the original harness had a melt down behind the instrument panel. I moved the fuse panel up into the battery box as I was really tired of the contortions required to get at the original for what little use it was. On ignition I have been running a Newtronics (UK company) optical trigger but am now converting her over to HEI.

I even need a new canvas too. I tried to obtain one from Undercover Covers in the UK but their customer service sucks and I could never actually place an order because the sales guy was always too busy. Now it is down to a choice between Exmoor or All Wheel Trim.

I got revved up to do the deluxe seats in my truck but they are thicker than the OEM ones and I just couldn’t get my legs under the steering wheel any more and I’m not a chubby bloke.

Same truck, same issues. Funny that.

On the Chevy L6 even the few holes there are seem to conflict with the water pump hoses, the belts and the manifold which limits what you can do with brackets. With my limited fab kit and the space constraints of having a bigger alternator and a power steering box to deal with those are the best brackets I could come away with. They work well and everything is mounted rigidly. If you don’t like the PS pump mount wait till you see what happens with the aircon compressor mounts.

That air filter was what came on the truck when I got it. It’s on there right now mainly as it is the easiest way to cap the intake while I run the grinder. My preference would be to run a CAT type cyclonic filter but that is something that can wait until I have the truck in a more complete state. It doesn't worry me too much as the 101 also runs a paper filter and pulls air from directly behind the front wheel. I inspect it as part of the general maintenance at oil changes and it does just fine with all the dust we have here.

Yes, most 101’s have the same problems. Leg room being the first, but that was designed in at the start.

I have rewired more than one vehicle and helped design more than one vehicle from the ground up, although I usually did the crawler tracks and jacking columns at work. My activity at Cal Poly was building the float for the Tournament of Roses. A ground up redesign about ever year.

My neighbors are tolerant, we had the front half of “Hard Rock”(1980) in my driveway for the after banquet party and for about a month after waiting to get clearance from SLO PD to drive back to Campus. We ran animation for about forty-five minutes at midnight for the party. I have had numerous project vehicles in the driveway since. No CC&R’s and no neighbor directly across the street looking directly at my driveway helps too. But I need to get my shop and house built out of town. If you are close enough you can bother your neighbors, they are too close.

The CAT Cyclonic you refer to, is probably made by Donaldson. My D4-5T and my J-D 610 both have Donaldson filters although the D4 has two oil bath (Pony & Main) and 610 is paper element. I have not been able to find a Donaldson cross for the 101 element or was it the cost was .. That is one of the parts I need to get from the Club. Paper elements are fine, but you need one with enough area for the conditions and by all means a cyclonic separator with vacuator valve.

As for my “A frame” crane, it is adjustable height. Lowered it can clear the 7’ opening to go inside my garage and raised it is about ten feet with one foot adjustments between.

I have seen how the A/C units have been mounted. You don’t get to use the HEI coil in cap distributor. I lived in Chico for two summers without A/C. 110°f for three weeks is doable even the day it hit 121°f. Ok it was warm. A tropical roof is a good thing. I am not sure if I want to add A/C to my wagon project. Time will tell.

Geoff
    Member: ACMOC (Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club)
    Member: 101 Forward Control Club and Register

A 101 club member - Steve the club chairman is coming out to AZ in September. He wants to visit while he's here. I think he's pissed that I let my membership lapse. Nice guy though.

I used to be a designer on excavators for CAT back at the plant in Desford in England. That was a fun job but just in the wrong place. We had a really cool old D6 that was all cable operated as a gate guardian. I think health and safety prevented them from running it. The plant was also handled the parts storage and logistics for Land Rover. On the other side of a chain link fenced wall we had all the parts you could ever imagine for Land Rovers and I remember drooling over the NAS spec parts at the time.

I've been in the desert for 10 years now and while I can get by in the heat I don't like it and it's no fun with two young kids and the wife on board too. When the monsoon hots down here and the humidity goes through the roof with the heat the trop top is pretty useless. This will be my DD and my wife's one condition for purchase was it must have aircon. The same unit will also provide an improved heater so it is a win all round for when I finally get to move away from HOA hell to somewhere with a civilised climate.

Default #479 in Portland OR

Purchased #479 after I sold my carawagon in Nov

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Greetings, welcome to the registry. I've added #479 to the list on the first page.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Default Number 231 reporting

Hello all!
    I have owned a NADA 6 cyl 109 station wagon since about 2000 or so when I picked it up from a man in Pocahontas Arkansas who didn't know what he had and at the time I didn't know it was that special. The previous owner from him had chopped the body up to make it into a pickup body so they had sawzalled the back of the roof and roof sides and sheet metal screwed them to the back of the pillar behind the driver door.
    Once I got it home I was calling Rovers North for parts and they told me it was not your average Rover. Since then I have slowly searched out all the body parts I needed to get the body back to the Station Wagon it should have been.
    It is currently not running and still resides at my Mom's house in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. I live in Fremont, CA and have not brought it out because I always kept thinking I was going to move again but 8 years later and I have yet to move so soon it will be brought out and I'll continue restoration.

Long story short, currently awaiting restoration in Pine Bluff, AR
    It has a vin # of 231A
    Is there any significance of the A?

Back home I also have extensive records on it from first sale to a Forest Service worker up in Washington state up until the 80s when it made it to Okalahoma and then no records till the man in north Arkansas got it.
    I've yet to see what the Rover factory has to say about it.
    When I get the records out here I can post its history outline if anyone might be interested.

Amusing thing was that the frame bits that stick out to the sides were packed with dirt. I dug it all out and as I did my Mom who is a geologist said the dirt was volcanic and there wasn't any soil like that anywhere in the midwest. Later that night I dug through the records and found out it was in the pacific north west. I always find it interesting the traces left within the vehicle that tell of it's own past.

Sorry for the long winded first post!
    -Marshall Gardner
    Fremont, CA

Wish List:
    101 Vampire

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Greetings Marshall. Yes, please do tell more about your new Land Rover as you find out. Also upload photos if you can. Welcome on board.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Default Bits and Pieces

Quote Originally Posted by TSR53
    Greetings Marshall. Yes, please do tell more about your new Land Rover as you find out. Also upload photos if you can. Welcome on board.
    Hello Thompson,
    I will post info as soon as I find more out on it.
    I used to have a website up on it but it has been down for a while. I had better pics there.
    Here are a few pics of my truck when I came back home to bring the last load of body parts I picked up in Vermont.
    The parts that you see which are seafoam green (actually Krylon Jade Green Satin) are the only original body panels I had. The camo parts are what I bought off of a guy in Vermont.

Also forgive me if I am breaking forum etiquette by not posting the pics behind a cut or something. Just let me know if I need to change it in any way.

Attachment 1648

Attachment 1649

Thank you for the welcome!
    -Marshall

Wish List:
    101 Vampire

Default Picture

I guess I never posted a picture of my truck. Dont know why....

So here are some:

http://expeditionlandrover.info/Dorm...ictures11.html

Its the dormobile!
    1968 Land Rover "Park Ranger" camper **SOLD**
    1967 109 **SOLD**
    NADA Dormobile #601 **SOLD**
    1965 IIA 88 2.5NA Diesel
    1963 Mercedes 300se
    1975 Volvo C303
    KJ6AQK

Default My NADA wagon with carawagon top added

Still working on the interior furniture and completing the carawagon top conversion, brake work and some other odds and inns but here is my NADA #2 playing out in the snow ....