Page 31 of 70 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: 109 NADA Registry

Quote Originally Posted by patrickfoley1 View Post
    I have developed sources for most parts, and have NADA Engine Parts and Repair Manuals as well as NADA miscellaneous Parts and Repair Manuals. Some are in my computer and those that aren't can be scanned into my computer should the need arise.

If I can be of any help please don't hesitate to ask. email is the best means of communication. redbrush2@yahoo.com is my address.

Jim Chandler-Bethel, OH (patrickfoley1)
    Jim,
    Here is an odd request. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have an owners manual for the NADA 109 quoting the power of the NADA spec engine. I'd also be interested to know if there was ever any emissions data on these trucks. I suspect even the California requirement would work if one existed for a 1967.

Its odd but I have strange needs.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Land Rover Ltd publication part no. LSM 64 IM list on page 73

Engine, 6-cylinder Petrol models (I'm going to assume this is RoW and not NADA).

BHP
    95 (71.0 kW) at 4,500 rpm

Maximum torque
    18,5 mkg (134 lb/ft) at 1,750 rpm

The February, 1967 Four Wheeler Mag PDF issue (link on page one of the registry) lists on pg 18 the following.

Engine
    Compression ratio: 8.8 to 1
    Horsepower: 123 @ 5000 rpm
    Torque: 142 @ 2500 rpm
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Aye I need a Land Rover publication with the NADA figures. Bureaucrats need to be satisfied you and nothing that's not from the horse's mouth will be accepted I think.

I think I am right saying the answer to emissions is 'Yes it does doesn't it.'

Hi Greenmeanie;
    Our friend Thompson S provided you with:
    Engine
    Compression ratio: 8.8 to 1
    Horsepower: 123 @ 5000 rpm
    Torque: 142 @ 2500 rpm
    This is the information contained in my Owners Manual. I was given to understand that it was the establishment of Emission Standards effective 1 January 1968 that ended the NADA 109. I do not believe there were standards in 1967. Production records indicate a number of units shipped to individuals in California during 1967.

I don't log on to this site daily, that is why I provide my email address.

Jim Chandler

Hi Stan; The round mirrors, starboard a fisheye, originally fit on the wings where the colored reflectors are mounted in your photo. The Idea was to avoid projections that could be knocked off going through the "Bush". On flat terrain, if the front cleared, the unit would clear, barring projecting tree branches. Good luck if you start looking for steps The last set of 5 I saw offered was asking $1500. Your unit appears to be in good shape.

Jim Chandler.

Default Original 109 NADA

I just looked at the 109 NADA REgistry and I know that 2.6 engine parts are harder to come by, but there seems to be very little original 1967 109 NADA with the 2.6 engine still in tact.

Why is that? Just the rarity of 2.6 engine rebuild parts? Was the 2.6 a bad engine?

Stan

Hi Stan;

The engine was/is a simple, solid design that had evolved at Rover over a period of 10 or more years. At the time it has placed in the NADA Rover had started to put a 3.0L version in their sedans.

The 2.6 manual calls for the use of 91 octane fuel, yet there was a "sticker" at the fill port indicating not to use fuel less than 86 octane. I suspect that the use of lower octane fuels due to that label may have caused problems.

According to a Road Test Article I have for this engine, used in the 3000 lb. Sedan, this engine could push the Sedan at speeds of 100 mph, over a lengthy period of time with premium fuel.

Parts were always difficult to find because not that many Rover 110's were imported into the US, and perhaps only 700 of the NADA Land Rover. The removal of leaded fuel from the marketplace also put a strain on the valves.

For it's time this was a high performance engine. 2.6 L/160 cu. in. pushing a 3000 lb. vehicle at 100 mph.

While Clarence was parked, I did not pay attention to the trials and tribulations of Land Rover. I know that our anti-pollution laws effective January 1968 could not be met by this engine, and frankly, there is no room under the bonnet for any pollution control system.

I suspect that in 1966 Rover had an inventory of these discontinued engines, and responding to a U.S. Demand for a faster 109 to travel on the Interstates, decided to install that inventory in the NADA.

As the NADA engines needed overhaul it was more convenient to yank it out and put a 3.0 L or larger Chevy Engine in it's place. For a few years at least one California Shop manufactured and sold a conversion kit.

At the time I purchased Clarence I was unaware of the scarcity of the engine, and the fact that it had been discontinued. The rarity of the NADA did not become known to me until 2005 when I began to take steps to resurrect Clarence.

The reason that I offer to help 2.6 L owners is to help them maintain their NADA Engines. Incidentally, if you begin to research the 2.6L, you will discover that there were at least 2 less powerful versions installed in 109's and sold all over the world. The difference being the Weslake Head.

As I have indicated I have developed sources for most it the parts for the NADA Engine. I have acquired "spares" in many cases. If I can help, just ask.

Jim Chandler-Bethel, OH

Default Wow

Jim,

I aim to keep my drive train all original. I like that my 109 is a low number and that it is all still intact. I need to do some small repairs to what the original owner did like a serious amount of trailer lights, must have wanted a semi truck. I just got all new grey elephant hide interior and found an original bench middle seat. I actually found the exact one that was remove from my 109 25 years ago and acquired it to put back in my 109.

I do hear a small squeek when I put it in 3rd gear and think maybe the clutch is slipping? Not sure though.

Stan

If I can be of any help, just holler.

Jim Chandler
    Bethel, OH

I found another NADA it used to be poppy red but is now a dark non original blue color. I will try and get more info on it and get the guy to register here.

Ed