Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd member swap

Both the ring and pinion may need to be shimmed; it depends on the ring gear and carrier used. The ARB requires a ring gear spacer for the series trucks, but the pinion stays in stock location (the ring is the same diameter)

If the ring gear diameter changes, the pinion may need a shim.

Remember, the ring and pinion both have to be changed, and they should always be kept as a matched set. I have heard stories of people changing the ring gear only, and that is not a good situation...

Maybe I'm missundestanding the point here?
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Quote Originally Posted by scott
    you're scar'n me now. i was thinking of using my oringinal 3rd member leaving the pinion gear where it is. i was going to pull and swap the spider gears and the thing that holds 'em. i figured all i'd have to do is pull the ring gear off the rrc's and put my iia ring gear with the 0.1" spacer i just ordered and drop it back into my original 3rd mbr housing. am i not on track here?
    In this case where you are simply changing the carrier you likely won't have to change the pinion height since the relationship to the ring won't change.
    Sise to side adjustment likely will still be needed if the the two carriers will probably be of different thickness
    John

jim & john thanks. the fear is gone. i'm leaving the pinion in the casing, swap'n the carrier and spiders as a whole. putting on the rrc carrier my old ring (using a ring spacer to make up the difference between a rrc ring and a iia ring). doing this, it's only the carrier side to side that i need to watch. this thread would have been alot shorter if you guys would have just stopped by the garage with some beer.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Um, yeah, but YOU have to provide the beer... This may be why no one stopped by???

1995 110 Regular

here's an update on the mashing together of a rrc and iia 3rd mbr. 1st the rrd, about a 1990, will bolt right onto a '64 rover. but the rrc 3rd mbrs have 2 short comings. 1- no fill plug and 2- a 3.53:1 gear ratio. I got 2 rrc 3rd mbrs pretty dang cheap off e-bay. the damage to my originals was one spider destroyed, the spider shaft snapped and the spider carrier marred. my plan was to bolt my ring gear to the rrc's spider carrier and drop it back into my iia 3rd mbr casing. dang it did work. the spider carriers are not interchangabe. their bearings' id and od are differrent. so i had to put my pinion gear into the rrc's casing and put the rrc spider carrier fitted with a iia ring gear and a .10" spacer back into the rrc casing. the iia pinion fit by removing a few shims between the inner and outer pinion bearings and using both the rrc and the iia outer pinion bearing washers that go on between the outer bearing and the flange. i also used a iia pinion seal on the rrc's casing. i hope it's oil tight. so what i have now is a rrc 3rd mbr with a 4.71:1 gear ratio to bolt onto my series iia. i still have no fill port so my plan tomorrow is to bolt on the rrc 3rd mbr, jack up on side of my truck and pour 3 qrts of gear oil into the outer end of the axle housing before putting in the axle. oh yea,i almost forgot, copious amounts of beer had to be consumed throughout the dis an reassembly process
    Last edited by scott; 12-17-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    '76 Spitfire 1500

Question

double dang. i was all set to stop by the local bolt shop and get 2 bolts for the 2 that were broke on the ring gear and couldn't find any. it turns out the ring bolts are unique to series iia rings. even the rcc ring bolts won't work. there are 8 regular 3/8 x 1" BSFs and 2 special 3/8 x 1" BSFs with a higher shoulder that acts to center the ring. guess which 2 broke. i've order the set of 10 and they'll be here in time for next saturday's knuckle bang'n time. the two broke bolts, the special centering ones, were 180 degree apart. i'm thinking they have to go in and snug down first to center the ring. does anyone know if there are 2 special holes or will any two holes 180 degree from each other work?
    '76 Spitfire 1500

There are probably special holes for these special bolts. Once you have it apart (with some paint dabs to retain orientation) you should have your answer...

1995 110 Regular

Smile

it only get's better. the rrc 3rd mbr has 3 things different from the series iia's. like i said earlier 1- the grearing and the spider carriers, 2- no fill plug on the rrc and the 3rd thing, discovered yesterday as the sun was setting, the series has 2 guide pins on the axle housing tucked in between a couple of the 10 bolts the hold the 3rd mbr on. and with these 2 pins the series 3rd mbr has 2 corresponding holes, the rrc doesn't. i had to crawl out from under the rove with the frankenstien 3rd mbr, wearing insulated overalls cuz i'm in my brothers back yard and we get about a week or two of winter here and it just happen to coincide with this project, and head cross town to larry the blacksmith (you don't need a machinist when working on stuff this old) made a pattern from the series 3rd and built a jig for the drill press and modified the rrc to look a bit more like the series. went down this morn'n and bolted it on. everything looks good, cruise around a bit, check out the 4x4 and low range, no leaks, squeals or wierd vibrations. toltal cost, $24 ring gear spacer, $145 2 rrc 3rd mbrs, $60 for 10 ring gear bolts (these prices incld s/h) and i owe my bud jeff a rear axle kit. no bang'd up knuckles this go arround but a bunch of sore muscle caused by wrenching in awkard positions and cold temps. i wish i had a camera to show you the right side jack up about 18" with an inverted 1 quart gear oil bottle that has the bottom cut off, propt against the wheel with a couple of 3 foot sticks, connected to a piece of tubing routed in to the axle housing through the axleless hub. merry christmas
    '76 Spitfire 1500