Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: series brake master cylinder ???

Default series brake master cylinder ???

has anyone put a 109 cb type master cylinder on a 88. i have a 61 109, and a 66 88, and they look the same, threads are the same, but the 88 cylinder is $300 and the 109 is $70.... why would the 109 be cheaper and have to stop more wheel cylinders??just trying to save $$$. thanks, nathan

Ive seen it done. It works but your line pressure is reduced. You can have the cylinder resleaved for substantially less and then install a new rubber kit. Or convert to CV style.

-Ike

thank you ike

i know that the diameter inside the cylinder is different (109 is bigger). On the dual power, the front/rear is opposite I believe, but on the cv you don't need to worry about that. bottom line it will work, but not as well.

on the cv syle, will the lines screw right in, and the pedal bolt right up, or will this be a pita to do?

CV is the way to go. Easier to bleed as well.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

so, if i buy the cv type for a 1966 88, it will bolt to the petal and the lines will thread in without having to buy 400 adapters, and the stopping power will be about the same?? if so ,im in for this. i just dont want to have a major problem fitting/ installing the cv type if i buy one, thanks again!

i am pretty sure it will bolt in

I have a 64 88 which was upgraded to a dual line MC plus servo before i acquired it. With information from TeriAnne I replaced it with one for a 109 and have been very pleased as it seems to work great. Just remember to switch the front and rear lines as a 109 is opposite fromn an 88.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    I have a 64 88 which was upgraded to a dual line MC plus servo before i acquired it. With information from TeriAnne I replaced it with one for a 109 and have been very pleased as it seems to work great. Just remember to switch the front and rear lines as a 109 is opposite fromn an 88.
    Jim
    Jim, it doesn't sound like he has a dual line setup. So he shouldn't need to do that.

Also, you may need one adaptor. It depends on what line you use coming off the reservoir to the master cylinder itself. Some of the CB's used a 1/4" line with a larger fitting. While some had 3/16" supply lines that went into an adaptor on the master cylinder.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.