Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 88 gets its new heart

Default my 88 gets its new heart

bought this engine in new jersey for $100, along with another for the same token while i was up there.i am not rebuilding due to a budget. i did however put all new seals and gaskets, paint, tune up parts and new motor mounts, clutch and some hardware.the oil pan is off another motor, i put that on there to keep the pump from gettting all bent up . i have a nice one thats on there now. i hope i got the timing correct!
    i got the truck for $500, got a motor , but was all rusty and not worth rebuilding it (thousands). i want to have the truck road legal and nice inside, my buget should be under $1700 once finished, brakes are $700 of that total.
    Last edited by 1961 109 WAGON; 05-28-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Nice find. I hope the internals are in as good shape as you have made the outside
    Jim

nice work nathan

did you at least plastigage the bearings?

oh, and don't forget to add your ga$ to fetch the engine(s) and other unspecified trips that we won't talk about

Quote Originally Posted by 1961 109 WAGON
    bought this engine in new jersey for $100, along with another for the same token while i was up there.i am not rebuilding due to a budget. i did however put all new seals and gaskets, paint, tune up parts and new motor mounts, clutch and some hardware.the oil pan is off another motor, i put that on there to keep the pump from gettting all bent up . i have a nice one thats on there now. i hope i got the timing correct!
    i got the truck for $500, got a motor , but was all rusty and not worth rebuilding it (thousands). i want to have the truck road legal and nice inside, my buget should be under $1700 once finished, brakes are $700 of that total.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

i didnt get into the bearings for the crank, or mess with the cam.lets hope there not noisy.

after pulling an all nighter , i got it put in BY MYSELF, the better half was asleep and i wanted it in before our next rain storm which is on the way.it was a pita the get the trans and engine to line up , alot of up and down, with bottle jacks under the trans to support it,and cusing. now i got days of little parts to hook up.not one bolt rung off or got stripped... SO FAR.
    dave, thank you for finding this engine for me. ive been looking for a few monthes with no luck. i really thank you for going out of your way to help me.thanks for the weekend at the beach too....
    Last edited by 1961 109 WAGON; 05-28-2008 at 12:53 PM.

heh heh, lookin good man

no problem, tell your friends. leave out the unsavory details.

btw you should re-route your fuel line in front of the rocker cover, the way you have it is the vapo(u)r lock special...

let me knowe when you want to come out and dig through my shed. sooner is better, gotta make room...

Quote Originally Posted by 1961 109 WAGON
    thanks for the weekend at the beach too....
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Hope you get luckier than I did. I picked up a motor from a member on this board in CT for 500.00 that was suposedly rebuilt with 15,000 miles on it. What a waste of money that was. When I opened it up I found all the wrist pins loose, the crank scored beyond repair the head cracked, and one of the cylinder bores worn out. Good thing I did not just take it and put it into the truck, what a waste of time that would have been.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

well she runs!! no smoke, good power and the carb keeps getting gummed up will silt from the tank. i put a filter in the fuel line, so maybe after a few fill ups all the silt will be gone.
    i did have the battery in wrong, its still a positive earth

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha
    Hope you get luckier than I did. I picked up a motor from a member on this board in CT for 500.00 that was suposedly rebuilt with 15,000 miles on it. What a waste of money that was. When I opened it up I found all the wrist pins loose, the crank scored beyond repair the head cracked, and one of the cylinder bores worn out. Good thing I did not just take it and put it into the truck, what a waste of time that would have been.
    Wow...hope he or she made good by you..
    Jason T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason T.
    Wow...hope he or she made good by you..
    Jason T.
    No, I did not even follow up with the seller. It wasnt worth the hassel for 500.00.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha
    No, I did not even follow up with the seller. It wasnt worth the hassel for 500.00.
    I'm sorry to hear that Bertha. What did you end up doing with the block? Rebuilding it?