Thread: Pulling engine advice

Default Pulling engine advice

Think I am going to pull the engine this week. I want to get into the clutch and reseal the motor. Don't really need to, but for some reason I want to.
    Is there anything you guys think I should do while it's out? Seals are easy, thinking about the oil pump, My truck Idles @ 25# and runs @ about 40# of oil pressure. Sounds a little light but doesn't seem to be a crisis.
    Looks pretty straight forward. Anything tricky I should know about?
    Thanks in advance as usual
    Nor-Cal
    67' 88"

Clean and paint? Chase leaks?

Most anything you could do (without cracking her open) is just as easy with the motor in place.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

After you remove all the things in the way (radiator, exhaust, air cleaner, etc...), unbolt the rubber engine supports from the engine mounts. Then jack up the engine and trans about an inch and place a board in between the trans bellhousing and the frame crossmember. Lower the engine slightly so the transmission rests on the board, then unbolt the engine and remove.

For re-assembly one of those engine angling devices would be very helpful.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

If you're going to pull the engine, then do the clutch and rear main seal. Check the flywheel to see if you have the hole pattern for a 9.5" clutch - this is a worthwhile upgrade.

Regards,
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

clutch replacement is a real good idea when the engine is out as noted above.
    put your engine on a motor stand, it will be easier to work on.
    check your motor mounts
    replace the intermediate hose on the water pump if you take the water pump off.

As Singingcamel said check your motor mounts.

Engine stands are about 50-90 bucks. I bought a cheap Harbor freight one and it held the engine (as well as a Mercedes 5 cyl) without a problem.
    Paint it seal it I would change the oil pan seal just cus i had it out.

Clean your engine bay as well this is a good time to give the whole area a cleanup and maybe repaint any frame parts that need it (if yours is not Galvanized)