Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard to believe but you will get smoked by a stock LR3 or RR in your 90 or

Gotta cry BS on that one. Saw several LR3's and RRS's and Range Rovers not make it up a hill even with their traction control on this past weekend.

The only time i couldnt make it up in my D1 was when i tried once to idle up in 1st low for S&G's.

The electronic aids help, but there is no substitute for skill and knowledge.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

I agree. Some of these electronic nannies are cool but cannot take the place of good old fashioned common sense. I drove a new 200 series LC (I know ) the other day and the sales guy kept going on and on about the "crawl" feature..My response to him was didn't that kind of take the fun away from getting off the beaten path in the first place. I don't want the bloody thing to drive itself..If that's the case, I'll hire a chauffeur ! In my opinion all of these electronic toys are just more things that can go wrong. Imagine the cost in 10-15 years to get those things fixed.. Cruise control on the highway is OK, off-road, no thanks !!

1991 Range Rover--65,000 miles--Ardennes Green--Very original--Very,very clean !!

2001 Land Cruiser UZJ100
    1989 Land Cruiser FJ62
    2003 Mercedes CL55 AMG

The latest 4wd areostar might spank them all but I will never know. Any rover with coils from the factory is a mommy-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by VTRover
    Check out the picture/video link I posted from the Muddy Chef event. Most modified rigs on the rock crawl in the video took two or three tries to get up (in come cases 6,7,8,9 tries - you know you are! LOL!). The RR made it without so much as a single slip of a wheel (this was not on the LR course in Manchester, rather out in Northern VT).

I'd bet that thing against a 3 inch lifted rig with protection, lockers and rock tires. Kind of blew my mind to see such the ease at how it went over nasty terrain. It completely removes the driver and the driver's skill from the experience. Man, all that money I spent on stuff for my Defender and all those years driving and teaching replaced by computer chips! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I think that I can get my hands on a new vehicle for the August drive so I can prove this theory. The sills may indeed be a problem but I think it can handle the rest with ease as long as we don't get hood deep fording again.
    I think you are confused. Care to test this on something like Buffalo Brook?