Thread: Electrical problems

Default Electrical problems

Just a couple of notes on Electrical problemsThese are simple fixes for alot of the issues on these cars)

Stay on top of Battery cleaning!! I clean my posts and cables about 4 times a year!! Put any of the anti corrode pastes on to keep good connection.

Rovers are very bad about poor grounds!! Check all of the multiwire grounds in and around the engine compartment, unbolt, clean thouroughly with wire brush(I keep one of those cheap NAPA 4 brush sets in my tool box) and again coat with anti corrode goo. There are other grounds in passenger compartment, underbody etc., you will need to order a factory electrical schematic from Rovers North (the best investment you will make!!, you can take it to your mechanic if you dont do your own work and he will love you and save you money!!) to locate all of them.

Many of the irritating "blinking lights, running/driveability issues etc" come from corrosion.

Another big issue was water invading the dash(RR classic early Disco)and getting into the major elec junctions and inturn these corroding out.
    You will find real horror stories under there and LR had Service Bulletins addressing these(I know cause I did a lot of these in my LR days!!).

Hope this helps,
    Remember Rovers are a Maintenance heavy vehicle and time invested in PMCS(a military term for preventitive maintenance) will pay off big time!!

Cheers from Bavaria
    Jack

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Jack, very good post, thank you! This is the first sticky on the new forum .

- Don't forget to have a good dielectric grease on hand. I've found that Würth makes the best. Here is a direct link to the catalog page.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Default AT coolant lines (hoses) replacement question?

sorry tried to make new tread!!!
    Last edited by daway; 01-15-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    1993 RRC County LWB (bertha)
    1991 RRC, parting out

sorry tried to make a new thread. will copy and paste!
    1993 RRC County LWB (bertha)
    1991 RRC, parting out

Default 1994 RR electrical problem

I have a problem that I am sure others of you have had in the past. I'm new to the Range Rover community so I think this is the fastest way to figure out my problem. The ignition system acts like its not triping the sensor that the vehicle is in park or neutral. Everything has power in the system like normal but when I turn the key forward to engage the starter nothing happens- (just like if you tried to start your car in drive). I'm guessing there is a sensor in the gear shifter that is worn out or something.

I did check the linkage @ the tranny and everything looks good.

if the RR wont turn over check to make sure all the brake lights work, if not it could be a blub or the fuse, that will keep it from going

thumb-up Oliver

Does anyone know where the main head light ground is on an 89 Range Rover classic?

I am new to the land rover world, havng worked on land cruisers for the last 15 years. I have purchased a 1995 RR recently and found your forum. In reading this post, i started thinking, if you have to clean the grounds on a continuous basis, while you are cleaning the grounds, wouldn't it make sense to run "redundant grounds" back to the battery itself? I may be missing something, but this may resolve the grounding problem.

Default land rover tech

Quote Originally Posted by jray73 View Post
    I have a problem that I am sure others of you have had in the past. I'm new to the Range Rover community so I think this is the fastest way to figure out my problem. The ignition system acts like its not triping the sensor that the vehicle is in park or neutral. Everything has power in the system like normal but when I turn the key forward to engage the starter nothing happens- (just like if you tried to start your car in drive). I'm guessing there is a sensor in the gear shifter that is worn out or something.

I did check the linkage @ the tranny and everything looks good.
    ck ur starter n starter relay if thats is working u my need ignition switch. u should ck ur alarm system to see if it works to.