Thread: Squeaky/Creaking Steering Wheel Shaft - How to fix?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Squeaky/Creaking Steering Wheel Shaft - How to fix?

So the steering shaft (basically the section right below the steering wheel and right above where the shaft disappears into the dash) has started to squeak/creak really really loud to the point where its embarrasing making turns...especially in parking lots. Its pretty ridiculous actually.

I took the steering wheel completly off, but the actual steering shaft area that is producing the noise is not accessable from up top or from outside the metal shaft it resides in. Or mabye it is and I'm not doing something right?

I tried getting some WD40 to leak down the shaft but to no avail.

Can anyone give me any clues on how to tackle this problem?
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

I presume you are running a steering column that is either late IIA or SIII vintage. If that is the case there should be a small bearing at the top of the column tube that support the column itself. The other support is the two bearings in the steering box at the bottom. If it is a SIII column you will also have the steering lock next to the ignition barrel.

Given this assumption you need to do three things.
    1. Make sure the steering box is topped off with oil. This is no cost, easy and can't hurt.
    2. Remove the steering wheel. Check for signs of galling where the steering wheel rotates. Now take that can of WD40 and out it in your tool box for a rainy day. Run a little gear oil down the inside of the column or at worst a squirt of PB Blaster. Make sure that top bearing gets a good soaking.
    3. Remove the steering lock and check for galling. Lubricate everything and reassemble.

4. Go slightly deaf and ignore it until something breaks.

Cheers
    Gregor

I had this problem once in my 69 109 and sprayed WD-40 up between the steering column and the collar that the steering wheel attaches to. If I remember correctly it didn't fix it immediately but lessened the noise and then a day or so later the noise went away completely and hasn't come back.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

This is where the squeaking is coming from....its basically inside the metal shaft I am pointing at. I guess I'll try to squirt more WD or PB blaster down past the bearing in the steering wheel. Is it easy to remove the bearing?

1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

might be the horn contact

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    Already went through all of that. The sqeaking is coming from further below the horn...almost where the steering shaft disappears into the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    I checked that as well. The noise is not coming from anywhere near the steering wheel itself.....its literally down in the shaft...basically where the shaft disappears into the dash.