Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: BUGEYE Registry

Thanks Triumph, for the hit. Glad to see your enthusiasm, and excitement about your new life.

The VIN that you provided is not a standard VIN. Perhaps a serial number of sorts MOD, etc. You may or may not know this, but the VIN will be stamped in the frame rail, at the very front of the vehicle, on what is called the "horn". There are two wing plates welded to either side of the frame that create a mounting point for the front of the front leaf springs. It is on the outboard side, of the right-hand horn (perhaps different on the Australian exports). Use a flashlight, and look closely. I would love to know what the VIN is.

The Australian export market is one of the markets that caused Land Rover to start mounting the headlights on the fronts of the wings, so your truck interests me considerably.

That being said, the headlights on your truck are not mounted in the standard location as other Bugeyes are. They are less inboard, and about half-way (vertically speaking) on the fronts of the wings. As you can see in the photos, all the others are about 2/3 of the way up the fronts of the wings, and more inboard. Your headlights could have been mounted by either the MOD, the factory, or a previous owner. All the others in this thread were presumably mounted by the factory.

I will wait to hear from you on the number you find on the frame horn.

Thanks again for your input, and if you have questions, shoot a picture of the outboard side of the frame, through the wheel-well, just in front of the wheel. Wipe it off with whatever you need to, to get down to the original surface.

Regards,
    Gary
    Last edited by Rineheitzgabot; 08-20-2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: mispelling
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

ok i will definately look for the vin on the frame tommorow, is there a way to tell if the lights were put in by the factory? i know of another bugeye land rover it is in starke florida, im not sure of the vin, the guy was going to trade it to me but it didnt work out, here are some pictures of it
    Last edited by Triumphdaytona2007; 02-06-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Take some close up pictures of the surface-mounting of the lights, and on the inside of the fender (the reverse-side of the surface-mounting). We can compare them to the ones on this thread, and discuss it.

Thanks,
    Gary

Gary,
    I have a question with regards to the proper lights for the Bug Eye. The flasher for the front bottom is the 4" amber. I have been able to reconstruct a couple for the front. I believe they are also used on the rear according to the picture in the Rovers North Catalogue. It is a bit difficult to see so if you could confirm this I would appreciate it.
    Also please help me with the front lights at the top of the front wing. I have seen a couple of different versions in some photographs. I believe they are the clear glass beehive version. When I got this truck I believe it had the flat glass version. Could you set me straight on this as well?
    The project is starting to come together. The mechanical portion is at a stand-still because the painter has the chassis along with various body parts. I expect he will be another month or so. His attention to detail is excellent.
    With any luck I will have almost everything together sometime in October.
    I checked the registry and did not see my name. Do you need any more information from me? Also I checked the serial number plate and did not see a date of manufacture.
    Gordon
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Fowler View Post
    Gary,
    I have a question with regards to the proper lights for the Bug Eye. The flasher for the front bottom is the 4" amber. I have been able to reconstruct a couple for the front. I believe they are also used on the rear according to the picture in the Rovers North Catalogue. It is a bit difficult to see so if you could confirm this I would appreciate it.
    Also please help me with the front lights at the top of the front wing. I have seen a couple of different versions in some photographs. I believe they are the clear glass beehive version. When I got this truck I believe it had the flat glass version. Could you set me straight on this as well?
    The project is starting to come together. The mechanical portion is at a stand-still because the painter has the chassis along with various body parts. I expect he will be another month or so. His attention to detail is excellent.
    With any luck I will have almost everything together sometime in October.
    I checked the registry and did not see my name. Do you need any more information from me? Also I checked the serial number plate and did not see a date of manufacture.
    Gordon
    Gordon
    Gordon,

Thanks for the faith in my knowledge, but I must admit that the exact specifications of parking lights/turn signals of this era are a bit of a mystery to me. I had '69 (non-bugeye) that had different lights than my bugeye, and I have seen different discussions on this, and other boards, about what lights were used at a given time. So, I do not know what is OEM, and what is not.

If one of the guys at RN are reading this, perhaps they could shed some light for you on what lights to bolt on, for your truck. I replaced mine with some beehives; NOT the ones pictured in the logo, or other pics on this board, if you want to see them, I can provide you with pics of mine, currently. Let me know.

As for the Bugeye registry, I was waiting to hear from you on the details of your "1970"-issue we discussed earlier. The list will be updated, directly.

Good luck with the rebuild. Hope everything goes as planned, and definitely post some pictures when complete!!

-Gary

the number is APG723B

This is the UK type of number plate, which if true to the vehicle, is from a 1964 era vehicle.
    The rear chassis member appears like a civilian type not the standard military, also the outer headlamps look like extra lamps someone has elected to add for some lighting needs.

2p

Quote Originally Posted by Les Parker View Post
    the number is APG723B

This is the UK type of number plate, which if true to the vehicle, is from a 1964 era vehicle.
    The rear chassis member appears like a civilian type not the standard military, also the outer headlamps look like extra lamps someone has elected to add for some lighting needs.

2p
    ok great! thanks alot for your help and the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by Les Parker View Post
    the number is APG723B

2p
    Les,

This thread has become a bit confusing. It seems that TriumphDaytona's first post is no longer here.

I don't know if you were responding to my inquiry about parking/signals lights, or not with your post quoted above, but I was referring to GordonFowler's question about this subject. Can you help?

Thanks,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Rineheitzgabot View Post
    Les,

This thread has become a bit confusing. It seems that TriumphDaytona's first post is no longer here.

I don't know if you were responding to my inquiry about parking/signals lights, or not with your post quoted above, but I was referring to GordonFowler's question about this subject. Can you help?

Thanks,
    Gary
    hey! he was saying that my rover is not a bugeye that it is a 64-ish british civilian rover that somebody put headlights on the fender, so i deleted the first posting so it wouldnt clutter up your bugeye registry, thanks!! chris

Gary,
    I phoned Rovers North and spoke with Art. He did some checking and the clear glass beehive is the correct version. I will still try and track the date of manufacture of my Land Rover. It is no doubt a 69 and registered in 70 as was sometimes the case here.
    Gordon