Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: driving a 45 year old vehicle

Righty's should also have better access to the clutch reservoir if it is a late IIA or SIII truck. No more cutting access panels or removing wings to check fluid levels.

Rosie,

I just deleted some messages, but my email is thixon@frtw.com
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    So basically, with all the parts for a series available at a parts store, like RN, you could build your own series truck from new parts alone, without having a vehicle to begin with, is that correct?
    No. Some parts are NLA or No Longer Available. Important parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S
    No. Some parts are NLA or No Longer Available. Important parts.
    Oh it was done about 5 or so years ago back in the UK and featured in one of the landyrags. IIRC it was one of the Bearmach family that did it so they had it a lot easier than the rest of us. It was a bit of deliberate PR to show the extent of their spares holding although it was a SIII.

It would be neither cheap or easy to do. I think that before you could start importing 110s it was an often visited idea to build one as a kit car from parts. At that time it was reckoned to cost about $80K and that was before the dollar tanked.

As stated previously. Much better to start with a project with at least the basics.

Cheers
    Gregor

Quote Originally Posted by thixon
    Rosie,
    Since Gudjeon brought it up, I'll expand. He's right. There really is no better vehicle out there in terms of learning repair skills. Parts are cheap and readily available (for the most part). The design is simple and straight forward. You have plenty of room to work, and don't need to buy any weird tools (for the most part) to do repairs and maintenance. Armed with the green bibles, you can figure out (on your own), how to do almost any mechanical repair imaginable. Even if you have little to no skills, you will still be surprised at how much you can actually do yourself. If you get stumped, there are a number of us on this board that can bail you out (as you've noticed I'm sure). Some of what you read on this board may seem intimidating, but theres nothing requiring you to do a frame swap right off the bat. The truth is, you can go buy a reasonably priced set of tools at sears, and complete most repairs on your own without much trouble.

As for reliability, I can only say this. With every brit car I've owned, I've found a few things to be constant. While its possible to keep one from leaking fluids, its usually not worth putting yourself through the anguish of trying. Unless its excessive, just live with the leaks. You'll notice that people knock the electrical systems of most brit cars (rovers included). I've found that once you run through the systems and staighten out any problems, they can be very reliable. I have a buddy who has driven an MGA for the past 20 years as a daily driver. It has the original harness and electrics, and is as reliable as can be. It just requires some preventative maintenance (which is the fun part).
    Parts are CHEAP???????????????????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    Oh it was done about 5 or so years ago back in the UK and featured in one of the landyrags. IIRC it was one of the Bearmach family that did it so they had it a lot easier than the rest of us. It was a bit of deliberate PR to show the extent of their spares holding although it was a SIII.

It would be neither cheap or easy to do. I think that before you could start importing 110s it was an often visited idea to build one as a kit car from parts. At that time it was reckoned to cost about $80K and that was before the dollar tanked.

As stated previously. Much better to start with a project with at least the basics.

Cheers
    Gregor
    Land Rover UK built four SIII 88's during a BBC telethon at one point. LROI had a blurb about it a long time ago.

But you still couln't build a Series One, Two or Two A if you had to buy all the parts from US Vendors. I could see modifying a 90 Bulkhead for a Series 3.

EwS

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie
    Parts are CHEAP???????????????????????????????????????????
    Relative to some other colector cars I own, or have owned, yeah. Dirt cheap in fact.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Relative to some other colector cars I own, or have owned, yeah. Dirt cheap in fact.
    x2. Buy A 97 Defender. Parts are gloriously cheap afterward.

EwS

You've got that right! Try buying a brake master cylinder for a series Rover and then one for a Hummer. I don't have a Hummer, but I imagine that parts AREN'T very cheap.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).