Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: driving a 45 year old vehicle

Mine does everything I ever want of it. Right now it is my on again, off again daily driver. The other car is an older, big cushy Mercedes so thats it's competition. And guess what, I'd rather be driving the rover every time.

I'll give the truck some attention like checking the fluids about once every 3 months (more often if I break something wheeling it) and probably do a proper service (change oil/filter, check points and valves etc...) about once every 6 months. If I drove it more, then it might need a little more servicing but not much.

One of the best things about a series truck is not just driving it but actually owning it. They do require more maintenance than a new car but none of it is beyond the ability of your average person willing to learn. The great thing about them is that you actually can work on them. It's quite empowering once you figure it out.

Do be honest with yourself though. If you can't deal with lifting the hood for maintenance or using your muscles to stop and turn, then this might not be for you. Also, if you are one of those people that finds themselves racing around everywhere, then these trucks won't satisfy.

The only down side (that I see ) to driving and owning a series truck is that your fingernails may never be clean again.

[quote=Tim

The only down side (that I see ) to driving and owning a series truck is that your fingernails may never be clean again.[/quote]

What fingernails? I haven't hada nything other than cracked and worn nubs ever since I got my third truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    Ruby, what type of weekend maintenance?
    Thanks!
    Rosie
    Same as everyone else...check oil and grease every zirc fitting there is. Check over all seals, just to see if the leaks got worse. I like to clean up her good...she rides better. You have to get one, this is the best truck i have ever owned.
    MA1(SW)...AKA REAL NAVY.
    88" 1968' IIA -

What are the pros and cons of driving a diesel series II or IIa 88 truck?
    And compared to the petrol, which one would be better for mostly on-road driving?
    Thanks!

Personal preference. Either could be considered better. Depends on what your values are. Comfort? = Gas, Fuel Economy? = Diesel. Read back to my reply in response to your email on this.

Rosie,

I drove an SIII for 7 or 8 years as a daily driver. I sold it, and have regretted it ever since. The IIa I'm rebuilding now will be a daily driver. I'm planning on selling my current ride (and audi allroad) once its done.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Travis, what kind of driving are you going to do with the IIa you are working on?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    Travis, what kind of driving are you going to do with the IIa you are working on?
    Rosie,

A fair amount of highway driving, with some around town and trail mixed in. I'm generally not in a big hurry to get anywhere, and live in a smallish town (augusta, ga).

Keep in mind, that I know what I'm getting into. These trucks are loud and slow. You really need to think about that before you jump in. On the other hand, if you do jump in, and decide its not for you, the resale is good.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

petru Guest

Rosie,

FWIW - This is my first LR and was somewhat concerned about driving one of these. It is true they are loud, the leg position is a little cramped (6' with achy knees), you go no-where fast, the ride is fairly rough, and they smell . The smell is due to all the fluids leaking. That being said I am truly enjoying ownership of this unique vehicle. I recommend it to anyone. You will either love it or will have gotten the need to own one out of your system.
    Good Luck.

Howdy Rosie,

I drive a 51 year old Landy as my daily driver. I live in a small town and use it locally and do some gentle off roading. I used to drive my '68 a few times a year on a 1000km one way trip to the coast. I will take my '57 on about a three hour highway drive. I still make it earn its keep.

I did a full frame up resto and I have never had any major issues since putting it back on the road. They are reliable enough as long as you have time to tinker with them once in a while. Also, you have to expect a larger repair, hopefully at larger intervals. I guess it just comes down to your own confidence level with mechanical abilities when it comes to reliability. They are a great way to learn and there is much help available on forums such as this one. The only parts taken to a shop was the cylinder head and getting the flywheel grind.

Best of Luck