Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: series IIa 88

That's right, all these folks selling these series trucks are in the hole if they have restored it like they say they do.
    This guy that owns the 71 says he is in the hole 33k.
    The one that owns the 60 pick up says he is in the hole 47k!
    That's probably mostly labor cost.
    You wonder why they don't keep them. But maybe they have money to play with and can afford to be fickle. Or maybe the thing is a lemon. That's the prob with not being able to drive it before you buy it!
    You are right though, never be hasty! It always looks better on this side of the money transfer!
    Yea, isn't it interesting how the budget tends to stretch out a little beyond reality when you want something.
    I guess that's called greed!

petru Guest

It's not greed. It's LUST. We all get that way when we want something really bad.

Yes sir, you are precisely correct!
    Lust of the eyes
    Lust of the flesh....and the wages of sin are death!
    I know it quite well!! Thanks for the reminder!
    On the practical side, I have been comparing vehicles that cost 10k compared to those costing 14k, and beginning to wonder if the 14k may be a better deal because someone else has done the work. If the 10k needs more work to bring it up to where the 14k is, it will end up costing the same and with less hassle.
    Looking and comparing and assessing the need will hopefully determine the right choice, rather than the glitz and sparkle!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    That's right, all these folks selling these series trucks are in the hole if they have restored it like they say they do.
    This guy that owns the 71 says he is in the hole 33k.
    The one that owns the 60 pick up says he is in the hole 47k!
    That's probably mostly labor cost.
    You wonder why they don't keep them. But maybe they have money to play with and can afford to be fickle. Or maybe the thing is a lemon. That's the prob with not being able to drive it before you buy it!
    You are right though, never be hasty! It always looks better on this side of the money transfer!
    Yea, isn't it interesting how the budget tends to stretch out a little beyond reality when you want something.
    I guess that's called greed!
    All sales puffery. Period. None of those trucks look restored to any high standard and few look like they actually had the money invested in them.

Anyone spending that kind of money on what is, after all, an old farm truck that is never realistically going to be worthmore than about 15K is mad. It's not like most of them are RARE or anything.

Now I can understand it if you are building an expedition vehicle, plan on this being your last vehicle ever kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    Yes sir, you are precisely correct!
    Lust of the eyes
    Lust of the flesh....and the wages of sin are death!
    I know it quite well!! Thanks for the reminder!
    On the practical side, I have been comparing vehicles that cost 10k compared to those costing 14k, and beginning to wonder if the 14k may be a better deal because someone else has done the work. If the 10k needs more work to bring it up to where the 14k is, it will end up costing the same and with less hassle.
    Looking and comparing and assessing the need will hopefully determine the right choice, rather than the glitz and sparkle!
    It is a used car. Period. Treat it like any other used car purchase. You don't want rust, then don't buy one with it. It should be safe, should be maintained and should look fairly nice. It should steer fairly nicely, brake without complaint and give you no other reasons to worry about your safety. Not that tough really, but very very hard to find.

There is no need to get wrapped up in this BS that since it is a Series truck that it has any great value. Most don't have value to begin with. Most owners think their POS is worth as much as you will pay. Be smarter. Make sure you actually drive the truck and know the basics about it. If the brakes need to be pumped, what does that mean? If the steering is heavy, what repairs are needed? Et al, etc.

So patiently look for a truck with a good bulk head, one that runs safely, has been maintained, and start from there. Like the one Ike had listed.

If your dead set on spending cash go to the chicago land rover club BBS and you will find one for sale at 15k that supposedly has been restored. From the description given, I doubt is a true restoration. Sounds like a frame swap and refurbishment to me. But I haven't seen the truck either, nor I will I offer to look at it.

So find a good mechanic that works on series near you. They will know if one of "theirs" is for sale. Look at the for sale sections on discoweb, d-90, and the other boards. Set up a search on Craigslist. Find all the rover clubs within 500 miles and look at their boards and I bet you will eventually find a nice truck in good condition in your budget.

BTW, you need one with a galvanized frame. No way I'd spend that much on a truck I know I'd drive in winter in NY. If you change your mind about owning it after you've driven through the salt there, the value will be less, and if you do want to keep it, the galvanized version will last.

Rosie

I've done frame up rebuilds and/or frame replacements on 4 series land rovers. one of those was a "designa chassis" brand coils sprung conversion. I've also participated in several of others' rebuilds, strip-downs etc, and I've done numerous engine and transmission swaps and transmission and transfer box rebuilds. I've watched the market go up and down with varying economic trends and if there is anything that can be said about the value of a Land Rover it is that they are only worth what someone will pay. Excellent runners with minimal or easily repaired issues can be had for less than 5k IF you know what you are looking at and what is involved in a specific repair. Or you can buy a fully restored example for anywhere from $8500 on up to $25k or more. And MAYBE it will have been done correctly. The biggest misunderstanding in these trucks is thinking that you can spend a ton of money and get a car that is guaranteed in any way to be trouble free for x amount of time. Remember it is a LAND ROVER.

So, that said, you don't need to spend tons of money for some "flawless" "collector piece." I don't recommend buying sight unseen as a first time LR owner. Yes you can spend 12k now on one that is already done or you can spend 12k later fixing everything yourself. But you can also get a good truck for a decent price if you take your time and shop around, and find one that is structurally sound that might just need a few things or might even just be driveable -as they usually are- despite the various issues- , and as they *all* have issues. I know you have at least one LR owning friend up there in Jupiter Hollow. If you can get her to look at one with you she should be able to help you figure out what you are in for...

In the meantime we'll keep an eye out for some deals for you.

And don't listen to the guys that say there is no inherent value in a series LR, look how the prices hold up against the test of time vs. the newer mass-produced LR vehicles. A 1960 LR sells for the same average price today that it did 10 years ago within a range of ordinary market fluctuation. While the Discos and Range Rovers plummet down to nothing after 5 or 10 years on the road. (For a myriad of reasons that don't necessarly have anything to do with their quality or usefuleness) With appropriate maintenance your series LR will hold its value. OTOH I agree with I think it was Eric WS in syaing that just because it is a Series does not mean it is a piece of gold, and rusty junk is, sometimes sadly, still just rusty junk.

Dave

edited for clarification in blue
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

All good points and well taken!
    More ammo in the belt!
    I appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by daveb
    . OTOH I agree with I think it was Eric WS in syaing that just because it is a Series does not mean it is a piece of gold, and rusty junk is, sometimes sadly, still just rusty junk.

Dave

Hit the nail on the head. The advice was offered in light of her experience.

I agree whole heartedly that a nicely done truck that is rust free will appreciate with age. However, when your just starting out, you really do not have the requisite knowledge to read an ad, look at pictures and tell if a truck is as described or if it is even worth any effort.