Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starter trouble

hey guys, starter update and hand cranking is FUN, not really.

so the problem with the starter was indeed the positive lead to starter, it was on the stud tight, but the nut that is supposed to hold the stud in was not tight against the starter motor case. I finally had the time today to get under the truck and remove the exhaust pipe so I could get in there and tighten things down. BINGO!. I also managed to start her up with the crank handle with no problem. The first couple of times I tried it the lead from the coil to the distributor had come off during all of my digging around under the hood to replace the solenoid so when I originally tried to hand cranke it I was not getting anywhere. thanks again for all the replies and help. This is my daily driver and I am very happy to have it back up an running again.

Also, another thanks to Yorker, I saw the link you posted to the bayourovers web site for timing by ear which I used today to time it so I was not getting preignition on the many hills around town.

Great stuff.
    Greg.

I'm glad you got it sorted out!

Timing by ear seems to work best for these old crates, whenever I had mine done by the book it just wasn't optimal- maybe fuel has changed? Some other variable? Anyway tune it till it knocks and then retard it until it doesn't. Simple!
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums