Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley carb!

Default Holley carb!

So after wondering about the carb that was fitted to the new-to-me Rover...I now know why it looks nothing like any of the common carbs...

ITS A HOLLEY!!!

I went online and after doign some reading on here and some of the UK forums, turns out the Holleys were a more economical carb to use. My dad and I are trying to keep everything as original as possible btu we will need some gaskets for this thing. Luckily I have found a Scout website that sells rebuild kits.

If you looking to keep it original, wouldn't you want a Solex or Zenith?

If it were me, I'd dump the holley. Every one I've ever owned (admittedly 4 barrels on american v-8's) has been a bitch to own. They are notorious for clogged needle valves, and when that happens, due to what I consider a bone headed design, gas will spill over the top of the float bowl and onto the hot engine. I caught my '61 vette on fire this way. If you keep it, make sure there is not trash in your tank, and you clean/replace your fuel filter often.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Eric...haha...you got me...when I said keep it original, I meant the carb itself. But I wrote that early in the morning, I now realize how silly that would be...lol

So dump the Holley? The neat thing is that I was able to fid info on it and and rebuild kits and manuals in less than a minute.

I'll start looking into the other options.

Now I need to figure out where this electric fuel pump came from.

I say keep the Holley and watch your fuel filters. Never heard of a Holley on a 2.25 but it sounds like fun. Of course, I've never owned a Holley either.

Live life on the edge!

If it is a type 1904 Holley from a 1960-1964 Scout with 152 Cu In 4 cyl engine (About the size of the LR four) AND if it is in good operating condition it should work well in a LR. People who used them liked the fuel economy.

I have a couple of them off of parted out Rovers, They seemed to work well enough. Sandy Grice had one and got >20MPG with it IIRC.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Why change it out if you can make it work with a little effort? Go with it if it works....Spend your money and time on cooler things.
    Jason T.

I have one on my S3. It starts instantly and I get about 14mpg. I had one on a Judson supercharged MG I had too. It didn't seem to run that well.

Quote Originally Posted by 01001010
    So after wondering about the carb that was fitted to the new-to-me Rover...I now know why it looks nothing like any of the common carbs...

ITS A HOLLEY!!!

I went online and after doign some reading on here and some of the UK forums, turns out the Holleys were a more economical carb to use. My dad and I are trying to keep everything as original as possible btu we will need some gaskets for this thing. Luckily I have found a Scout website that sells rebuild kits.
    If it is a 5200 series carb used b4 computer controlled power valves, which came on the scene around 1980, they are a good unit to use for mileage. they are a 2 barrell with progressive, not vaccuum operated secondaries.. the most common source for these are from the 2300cc engines used in Pintos, and 4 cyl Fairmonts..if there are ANY wires other than the ele choke, you do not want these as they use a controller to operate the power enrichment circuitI have used them on everything from Volvos to Je???ps....is there a tag on your carb? attached to one of the top bowl screws..?????????